67 deluxe horn assembly diagram/help needed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Question 67 deluxe horn assembly diagram/help needed

I have tried to find some horn assembly pics diagrams in my manuals and on the site, but am having trouble finding any capturing the horn with working url links.

I have a 67 tilt deluxe wheel. I took my column apart and there was no cancelling cam and no horn parts.

I ordered everything I think I need but just can't figure out the order of assembly between the cancelling cam and horn cap.

I think that the horn will blow if I make contact between the spring/pin/bushing assembly of the cancelling cam as it extends through the steering wheel and the steering wheel/shaft. My problem is that every way I think it should be assembled, there will be contact whether the horn is pushed or not.

The way I think it goes, starting at the turn signal assembly moving up:
Turn signal assembly
Dust cover (has hole in it for brass contact to stick through)
1" heavy spring
Cancelling cam
Steering wheel
Cancelling cam spring/pin/bushing into cancelling cam through hole in steering wheel. Pin "face" goes against spring and bushing goes on next.
Dish spring plate placed against steering wheel like a dish (inside touching steering wheel face, outer edge lifted up
Metal cup
Three bushing'd Red insulating ring
Washer
Nut
Rubber horn ring
Horn cap

The problem I see is that the spring/pin/bushing sticks above the face of the steering wheel ~3/8" so when the dish is put on it makes contact with the pin and it also makes contact with the wheel...

I'm definitely missing something fundamental. Do I have all the parts? Please clue me in.

Thanks,
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 09:52 AM

Re: 67 deluxe horn assembly diagram/help needed

Scott, I am also trying to figure out this horn button assembly for my 68 with no tilt. I think the basics are the same for tilt and no tilt.
I do not have a dust cover as you mentioned. May be a difference due to your tilt. Your assembly order seems wrong. I think it should be
Turn signal assembly
Canceling Cam
1" heavy spring(sits inside the cancel cam)
Steering wheel
dish spring
metal cup
red plastic screw insulator & 3 screws
washer
steering wheel nut
rubber horn ring
Horn cap

i also have a paper washer in the exact shape of the dished spring. I don't think i need it though
jerry
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

On 1967 and 68 columns the order for the heavy spring and cancelling cam is different between a standard (non-adjustable) column and the tilt column.

Tilt columns have the spring first down inside the turn signal switch then the cancelling cam. Standard columns have the cancelling cam down inside the turn signal switch then the heavy spring.

I have looked in my 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual. Nothing on the actual horn parts. Sorry, I can't help you there.

JIML82

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Jerry,
JimL82 is right about the spring. It only fit's one way...I think its a tilt thing.
The dust cover is a very thin flexible piece made of plastic. It is on UPC 12/C2 of my factory assy manual.
What I don't understand is how the cancelling cam spring/pin/bushing is supposed to interact with the horn pieces. With none of the horn pieces installed, the pin from the spring/pin/bushing extends above the surface of the steering wheel...
next would be the dish spring...this would make contact with the spring/pin/bushing and the steering wheel...so as soon as this piece is installed, the horn circuit would be complete!?
I'm gonna take some pics. It might be easier to understand.
-Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Ok, the insulation ring was sized slightly wrong, and everytime I put it in, it was pushing the dish down to make contact. Now that I have sanded it down, and sanded all the contacts, the horn is working...at least with my meter. Repo parts are killing me this week.
-Scott

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 03:42 PM
Mark

Hello, my name is Mark. I'm a new member to team camaro and this is my first entry. I am currently rebuilding a standard steering column for my 67. I feel the pain of all entries I've read. I have continuity from the black wire all the way up to the spring contact that touches the bevel spring inside the steering wheel. When the bevel spring is pushed, the inside of the spring makes contact with the metal sleeve that is pressed around the splined opening for the steering shaft. The problem I'm seeing is there is no continuity between the point of contact between the bevel spring and splined opening. The steering shaft seems to be always isolated from the spring (while depressed)
Any input will be appreciated. Hopefully i've described this understandably.

Thanks, Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Mark,
WELCOME to TEAM CAMARO!!!
I think I understand what you are saying...I had a similar problem, and had to clean the surfaces where the bevel spring and steering wheel made contact with some scotchbrite and between the pin contact and the bevel spring.
You should definitely have contact between the steering wheel and the shaft, although I guess you could scotchbrite, then lube those surfaces to ensure good continuity.
I also had some problems during assembly where the red isolator would get hung up during the assembly preventing the cup and bevel from making good/consistent contact with the steering wheel. Took SEVERAL attempts to get it all to work right.
Sounds like you've got the assembly order correct. The bevel spring sits such that the inner part would touch the steering wheel first and the outer part would tough the cup first when put together.

Hope that helps,
Scott

Last edited by 67FamilyFun; Aug 1st, 06 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Welcome!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 06, 06:17 PM
Mark

Thanks Scott. I ended up putting a small sheet metel screw just outside of the spline coller where the coller is pressed into the wheel. Then I grinded/smoothed the head off to be flush with the wheel. I now have continuity to the steering wheel. The only thing I can figure is there's corrosion between the coller and wheel where the factory press fits these two together. You helped me when you confirmed the black wire needed to go to ground through the shaft when the button is pressed. Thanks for the help. I have a feeling I'm going to like this forum I've joined. I have one good guy I get parts from in my area and he helps me with issues I might have, but I hate to keep bugging him with trivial problems. His sole business is restoring first generations and selling them.
Take care,
Mark..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode