need help wiring new hatch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation need help wiring new hatch

hey, i posted this once before and didnt get any replies but im still lost as to what i should do...im restoring an '84 z-28 but i've run into a problem with the rear hatch. it seems the hatch has been replaced with one from a newer model, because it includes a third brake light that was not included on 84's. i was wondering if anyone with a later model that includes the third light in its wiring harness could tell me how the stock light is connected to the brake switch or if anyone has any suggestions as to how i could connect it into the lighting system without running a wire down the hatch shocks, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: need help wiring new hatch

Don't know how the stock one are. You would probably have to wire it from near the top of the hatch, splice in to the brake wire farther back, run it up to the roof and then to hatch.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 06, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

hey, thanks for replying...that was one of my ideas but the way the light is wired right now its connected into the ground for the defroster which runs through one of the truck struts. the positive wire runs along the other side of the defroster (braided and sodered to the window) to where the defroster connects to the other strut for power. the wire for the light ends there with a spade connector which leads me to believe that might be hooked up through the strut somehow as well in newer cars

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 06, 02:32 PM

On my 86 (cyclops light mounted on the top of the window) the hydraulic support for the deck has connectors on each end. The wire comes up to it on the passenger side to connect to the bottom of the strut and there is a wire on the deck lid where the strut attaches to plug into the other end. There is a device/gizmo that hangs off the lid that makes contact with a plate just to the left of the lock mechanism. That part looks like something to shut off the 3rd light when the deck lid is opened.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 06, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help...is there any chance that you could send me a pic of this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode