voltage reg - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

voltage reg

Hi,
You guys who have switched to alternators with internal regulators, what have you done with the wiring to the old regulator, etc. Is there a way to leave the original regulator and make it look good. Is it totally bad to keep the original regulator and alternator setup if you have a relative high perforance engine set-up. Give me opinions and ideas please.
thanks
rj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 05:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: voltage reg

When you switch from the external reg to internal, you have to jumper the wires on the old regulator connector, pin 1 to 4 and 2 to 3. The ole reg could stay there, unplugged I suppose.

Depending on your electrical loads, the old style system is still workable. You can get 61 amp external regulator alternators at any parts store, and summit has some up t 100 amp.

The 61 is very adequate unless you have some really killer electric fans.

Autozone sells an electronic external regulator, it's made by wells and is part # vr715. The work way better than the mechanical reg, and they are cheap, too. For a stock appearance, you can put the old regulator cover on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Jim,
I just came across that regulator on a trip up north. I bought it for ten bucks. It said it was electronic, and I was wondering how it would work on my car. I guess I might use it. My car came with an alt with internal reg. The old reg and horn relay are gone, and the bunch of wires for them are just hanging out in space. That;s why I was thinking of returning to stock, but everyone tells me to go to MSD 6 for reliability. My car has also received an HEI system prior to my owning it, and some of the wiring was changed there and for the alternator. My alternator wiring has been adapted I guess since it has only the main battery wire and one other wire to where the connector plugs in even though there are two prongs coming out of the alternator, but only one wire. I hope that all makes a little sense.
RJ

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Jim
What do you use on your camaro by the way.
rj
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Ross

RJ, I use to have a one wire setup but then I bought an original alternator on ebay and had it restored with an 80 amp upgrade. I also have the solid state regulator and the charging system looks original and works great.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
RJ

Jim,
I think that's what I'll do
Thanks
rj
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I uise my original 61 amp unit with the wells regulator. Lights dim a bit at idle, but the battery is always charged. Aftermarket load is a 600 watts stereo but no electric fans.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode