Bulkhead Connector Replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bulkhead Connector Replacement

one of the ears on my bulk head connector is broken and I am conteplating repalcing it. I keep losing power to the car and it won't stay on. I have new connector I ordered a while ago.
Has anybody done this? I will use the old fusebox.
Is there a trick to pulling out pins from old connector and putting them in the new one?
Has anybody rigged up snything to hold the connector from the firewall side on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 10:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Bulkhead Connector Replacement

The firewall connector will usually stay in place just by the 'goo' applied as a sealer.
The pins can be released fairly easily with a sharp tool to push in the retaining lug and push them out.
There is also a special tool sold by most the major "tool truck" guys to release them. I have several different designs and they all work pretty good.
Be sure to mark the wires and the positions carefully - they are easy to get misplaced

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Bulkhead Connector Replacement

Thanks, vintage 68
are these tools used to push the pin out or pull it out. As for the different tools is it a matter of size or design?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 09:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Talking Re: Bulkhead Connector Replacement

Yes - size always matters
The connector tools are used to 'push' the connect back out in the direction of the wire.
These connector do come in various designs based on manufacturer of the connector, but the GM type usually one of the twp most common that release just a tag on one side or slide over a barrel shaped connector and depress the two (or more) side lugs to release the connector and allow it to be pushed out.
Many auto part stores will carry the "Lisle" (sp?) brand of auto tools - one of their multi-connector tools is an excellent choice for your tool box.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Bulkhead Connector Replacement

Thanks Vintage I just spent an hour on the snap on website and couldn't find anything. Your reply was just in time. After visiting there website I guess you are talking about the hexagonal tool that has 6 different "bits" on the end.
I wish their pictures were bigger!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 06, 10:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Bulkhead Connector Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS RAG
... I guess you are talking about the hexagonal tool that has 6 different "bits" on the end.
I wish their pictures were bigger!
That's the one I use quite often
Mine have a green or a red center body - sorta the Ninja-star-of-death for connectors

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode