What is this wire? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 06, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

What is this wire?

I have a 1969 that came factory with a 327 2 barrell, powerglide and factory air. The car has not ran since 1977 and the motor is locked up. I pulled the engine and dropped in a 400 sbc for now. There is a single red wire on the drivers side that is a pretty large gauge. I checked it and it has 12 volts when the ignition is on, I thought about using it for an HEI distributor but I would at least like to know what it went to, I can't remember, I must be getting old. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 06, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech

Re: What is this wire?

need more information on the wire where is this wire color etc.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 06, 06:31 PM
Retired
Jim

copy this and blow it up and you will find all the wires you 'might' have. Its all in the AIM which you should have if restoring an old camaro. Assembly Instruction Manual, available from our site sponsor, ebay, other resto companies also carry it.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 06, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

More than likely, it is the wire for the carburetor idle-up solenoid. Does it have or did it have that asphalt type sheathing on it, and have a straight push on connection?

69 Camaro X11 SS clone 79B Ralley Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Caprice 396 Tropic Turquoise.. in progress
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 06, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

yes, it has a straight push on connection and black sheathing on the wire. is it a good wire for electric choke?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Yes, but it is on the wrong side of the carburetor.

69 Camaro X11 SS clone 79B Ralley Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Caprice 396 Tropic Turquoise.. in progress
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

What did it plug into from the factory (the carburetor, intake?) Also, it is long enough to wrap around to the other side of the carb. I do not want to cut anything because I will eventually put the original 327 2 barrell back in the car. Thanks for your input.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
John

Charlie, thats what it most likely is as Amptech stated; the wire that connects to the fast idle solenoid on the drivers side of the carb.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 10:09 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The solenoid should be coming from the harness along the firewall by the wiper motor and the plastic wire gutter molding that is on the firewall. It would follow the driver side valve cover to connect to the solenoid.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech

I was always told and have had the understanding that that soleniod was an anti-dieseling soleniod. When voltage was applied to it (key on) this soleniod magnatized the coil and made the plunger retract. When voltage was removed (key off) the plunger returned to its correct position which in turned opened the throttle a little and made the carb shoot a small amount off fuel into the engine, which would prevent the engine from!!!! Dieseling, running backwards and all those funny sounds it would do.

Have you hugged your kids today?? Tell them you love them also..
Heaven got a little sweeter. We miss you Mandy..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 02:26 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck L
I was always told and have had the understanding that that soleniod was an anti-dieseling soleniod. When voltage was applied to it (key on) this soleniod magnatized the coil and made the plunger retract. When voltage was removed (key off) the plunger returned to its correct position which in turned opened the throttle a little and made the carb shoot a small amount off fuel into the engine, which would prevent the engine from!!!! Dieseling, running backwards and all those funny sounds it would do.
I think you have it backwards. When power is applied the solenoid operates opening the throttle blades a bit more and setting the engines idle. When you shut the engine off, power is removed to the solenoid and the throttle blades close keeping the engine from running on. Most run on (dieseling) is caused from the throttle being held open too far when the engine is shut off... There are other causes but they are associated with age and crud buildup in the cyl head...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 06, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, you've been a lot of help.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 06, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

That's exactly what that red wire is for - that solenoid whatevertheheckitsfor - on the carb. My 307 2 barrel had it, and it was original. It now feeds my distributor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode