Which aftermarket company has a better wiring kit? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Question Which aftermarket company has a better wiring kit?

I am going to have to re-wire the whole car this winter 1969 Camaro coupe. Front to back. I was wondering which company has a better kit to do it?

What have you guys/gals used in the past to restore yours.

The previous owners of my car seemed to like the color of blue wire as it is ran everywhere in my car. From out of the headlight harness to grounding out the rear taillights.

Thanks for your time to respond in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Which aftermarket company has a better wiring kit?

It's a toss up between M&H and American Autowire, both make great comeplete "factory fit" style harnesses.

American Autowire is a member here, and they help us out from time to time, so they would be my first choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech

If you search "wiring harness" you'll see posts with info.

If you want OE replacement, AAW has the Factory Fit line, and M&H ( www.wiringharness.com ) has a nice product too. Rick's carries the Factory Fit harnesses at a discounted price, just pick what you want and go. Expect to pay about $800 for all new OE harnesses from either source.

Both AAW and M&H can slightly modify OE harnesses for a fee, for common mods like replacing the factory ignition resistance wire with a lead for an HEI, and for running an internally regualted alternator without having to put a jumper wire across the OE voltage regulator plug.

I did not want an OE replacement, mostly because I wanted to modify it so much yet have it look stock that tyring to figure out what I wanted where was making my head hurt. So, I bought the "Classic Update" from AAW ($440 or so, front to back) and have been really happy with it so far (about 75% installed at this point). AAW customer service and tech is great, answering every little question I have. If you think you might want to go with a setup like that, I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 05:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I went w/AAW and have to agree that their tech support is great. They even hooked me up w/some custom wires I had them make to wire up my Tremec.

I hear good things about M&H too but now that I've had such great support from AAW, I'm sticking w/them. I actually just picked up a '72 GTO that I have to rewire and will be spending my fall doing the same thing as you.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 06:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

excellent quality and true "plug-n-play" harnesses.
AAW's people make the difference! excellent follow-up and follow thru.
superior customer service. (and for a price, theresa just may come out and install your AAW harness!!)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

I have used and sold American Autowire for 15 years. Good stuff, good tech, and yeah, Theresa is a hotty. Also, AAW is on Group Purchase right now.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech

I just came back in from the garage after installing a new light harness from AAW and noticed this thread. It plugged in perfectly, and it looks perfect. And everything worked as advertized. No smoke is always a good thing!!!!
I would highly recommend them.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

YEAH! I would agree that "no smoke" is a good thing.
Who is this Theresa?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

she is the dedicated email person at AAW.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 09:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I cannot speak for 1st gen yet, but the 2nd gen stuff I got from AAW is top shelf.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I called M&H and they were out-of-stock for what I needed so they refered me to AAW. Both are great companies with excellent customer service. You might want to check out madelectrical if you are redoing your engine compartment as well. I upgraded to HEI, a new internal VR alt, and relays for my lights and really like the way it came out.

'67 convertible 210HP 327/Powerglide (not anymore!)

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
she is the dedicated email person at AAW.
Could you be ANY more mis-informed? She runs the Marketing department at AAW (do you have ANY clue how much AAW has grown in recent years?), develops and maintains their website, works with customers in new product development, and many, many other things for the company. It's unbelievable that someone would actually think that she's "the dedicated e-mail person" at AAW because she goes out of her way to make sure that the customer is happy with their products and services... and this is how she is rewarded.

I'm truly embarrassed for you.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 08:17 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ProTouring View Post
Could you be ANY more mis-informed? She runs the Marketing department at AAW (do you have ANY clue how much AAW has grown in recent years?), develops and maintains their website, works with customers in new product development, and many, many other things for the company. It's unbelievable that someone would actually think that she's "the dedicated e-mail person" at AAW because she goes out of her way to make sure that the customer is happy with their products and services... and this is how she is rewarded.

I'm truly embarrassed for you.
That was a little harsh IMO. He just didn't know...

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

M&H is the best in my opinion. Straight up fit just like the factory. I have done 2 cars with them and both were restored back to original using their harnesses. They also have a tech line that is great. Unfortunately they are so good, they are out of stock and making them as fast as they sell them.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 09:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

the only contact I had with M&H was a phone call trying to locate a terminal. They wouldn't sell it too me or suggest a place to get it, and flat out told me they are in business to sell harnmesses not terminals.

Wish I had known Teresa then...lol. Bet I could get those suckers today.

Teresa is good people btw. If I ever get over being busy/lazy, she's sent me some great stuff to add to the electrical stickies.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode