Any Help..B/U lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Any Help..B/U lights

Hey I have a 69 w/ th350 & floor shifter. Brand new neutral safety switch. Checked all circuits and have power at both sockets when in reverse..............until I install the bulbs. The connections at the sockets and at the safety switch go dead,(no fuses blow). Checked the continuity of the ground wires in the trunk (good wire & all marker/brake lights work).
I am baffled..... This circuit checks out fine until I install those 1156 bulbs, which are also brand new. Any help.

Ed Hall Fallston, MD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: Any Help..B/U lights

try just one bulb at a time incase you have a bad bulb... also, your bulbs only have one connection on the bottom right (not two like your brake lights), right?

1967 SS 396, M20.
now a 10.4:1 540, AFR 315 heads, UDHarold SR Cam with a Tremec TKO
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 04:50 PM

If I remember right 1156 are turn signal lights not back up. You need one with only one contact on the bottom not two.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes the 1156 bulbs only have one contact on the bottom and I have tried one at a time as well as several different bulbs but to no avail.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 08:20 PM
Team Member

My guess would be to double check all connections for tightness and corrosion. Maybe try hooking up a test jumper wire from the socket to ground?

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 09:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Klemp View Post
My guess would be to double check all connections for tightness and corrosion. Maybe try hooking up a test jumper wire from the socket to ground?

TTFN
Mat
I'm with Mat.

When I first put in my tko I had exactly the same indications. Voltage at the sockets, but put the bulbs in and NUTTIN.
Found that the connector was not plugged all the way into the trans, would pass some voltage, but not enough current to light the lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
but not enough current to light the lights.
I'm with JimM, not enough current flowing to light the filaments of both bulbs.

The switch may be the limiting factor. Jumper around the switch and see if light(s) come on, or closer to the source of power.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 06, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Any Help..B/U lights

Wanted to let you all know the outcome. I am not an electric wiz but it would seem that my pink wire from the fuse panel to the switch was bad. I checked it for voltage (11.8) and for continuity which it had, however when the bulbs were in it went dead. My best guess is the wire was partially broke somewhere causing it to overload when the resistance of the current was applied. Typical of an undersized wire. Does this make sense to anyone?
So I ran a new 16ga wire from fuse to switch and they worked. Hope it helps someone one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode