67RS light problems - do you like your harness original or extra crispy? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 06, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

67RS light problems - do you like your harness original or extra crispy?

Howdy Folks,

I've been a lurker here for a while, but my latest problem has flushed me out of my cave to ask for some advice.

I have a 67 RS/SS convertible that I bought with non-functioning headlight doors. I finally started into the project of getting the doors working. I purchased a new set of aftermarket door motors several years ago, and yesterday finally found the time and motivation to install them. (yep, I know, pretty pathetic - all I can say is "family obligations")

I checked all of the limit switches and relays using a multitester. The limit switches were ok, and the relays checked out OK but looked a little questionably. I replaced two of them, because that is all I could get my hands on on a Saturday. I decided to keep the best looking one, and replace it later if needed.

I got the pods reinstalled and everything hooked up, but no luck. I found no current going to the orange wire on the first relay, so it appeared that the 10-amp circuit breaker was faulty. Against my better judgement, I jumped the circuit breaker to see if they would open one time. They worked! But there was a hesitation before they opened, so I tried opening and closing them a few more times. They seemed to be working pretty well, so I was going to shut things down for the night and order a circuit breaker, but this time the motors continued to run in the closed position eve after I turned off the ignition. I had to pull the battery cable before I fried my motors. Unfortunately, it was a little too late for the wiring harness, as I could smell the insulation getting hot. Sure enough, the insulation on the orange and light blue wires was bubbled. That's what happens when you get impatient - no car show for me on Labor Day!

So now it looks like I will be buying a new light/body wiring harness for the car. Does anyone have any advice on the best source for a wiring harness? Any ideas on what happened? My guess is that I had a short somewhere in the harness that was bleeding off just enough current to get the wires hot. I might have to check the limit switches again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 06, 10:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Re: 67RS light problems - do you like your harness original or extra crispy?

You obviously have to clear the source of the high current flow that took out the fuse etc..blew mine and melted wiring ias well years ago. I think the doors were stuck if I remember right as I had no major issues?

Anyway I have a new spare harnesss Im not going to use if you are interested- elected to retape my original. Ill PM you my contact info.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 06, 06:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I got mine from FactoryFit in NJ. A lot of people have had good luck w/M&H too.

You must have a grounded wire somewhere in the harness. I had a pinched wire over by my voltage regulator. There are a lot of places over there that someone can accidently pinch a wire, especially if the car has been apart a couple of times.

Good luck

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 06, 09:43 PM
Lou

Even if the doors don't hit the limiting switches when they are in the closed position, if you shut the key, it should most definitly stop them. When you turn off the key, the brown wire coming from the ignition switch (in the contol part of the circuit) shouldn't have power, and the relay should deenergize and the the motors should stop running, maybe the one relay you didnt replace is faulty, and is allowing the current to still run to the motors. The motors probably dont stop running because the limiting switch isn't functioning properly, and I would say maybe the circuit breaker went bad when the circuit kept drawing power. It can probably be a number of other things, but maybe changing that relay wouldnt hurt. I have a wiring diagram and troubleshooter for the 67 rs headlamp doors that I can send you if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode