Points Igniton to HEI swap - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Question Points Igniton to HEI swap

I want to swap out the points distributor on my 1969 Camaro and put in an HEI distributor. What all do I need to do in order to make an HEI work in my car?
Just pull the old one and put in the new one and cut the coil wire and put on a plug to connect to HEI cap?
I want to do it cheap, but correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Points Igniton to HEI swap

Lots of options out there. You could keep you existing dist but convert to electronic by using the Pertronix Ignitor module. Just need a 12v source (usually IGN on fuse panel) and maybe upgrade your coil. Check out there products on there website. Also Mallory, MSD, and Accel have great products too.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

One thing to consider is whether or not your HEI distributor will fit in your 69. Many of the big body HEI's will hit the firewall. I've got a Dave's small body HEI in my car which is basically a breaker point ignition converted to accept an HEI module and pickup. But Dave can be hard to reach. Try http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com. Pertronix is another popular conversion.

Just be sure your breaker point distributor is up to snuff before converting it if you choose to. Worn bushings and advance mechanism should be resolved before hand to prevent headaches.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 06, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech

Rat -

As Dave said, if you plan to use a GM coil in cap style HEI, the first thing you may need is a hammer to dent the firewall . Some fit, some don't, based on how far back the subframe is set and the engine frame stands/motor mount combo you have. If you search "HEI fit" you'll have lots of reading.

Also, the OE wire to the coil is a resistance wire, with the voltage decreasing as it heats up. HEI needs 12 volts, so you can cut the resistance wire as close as you can to the bulkhead connector and replace it with 12 gage copper, or you can just run a new wire as Max said.

I had a GM HEI on the 68, and it took some hammering to get it to clear. A GM HEI wouldn't have fit on the 69, and I am not hammering this car, so I too had Dave Ray convert my stock dist into an HEI. Nice work, and a good price.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 06, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

So is it better to get one built by Dave or get a new one that will fit?
My friend said something about a kit that does away with points and is a breakerless ignition that fits inside the cap.
Plutonics or accutronics or something like that. Does anyone know what he is talking about and has anyone had any kind of problems with this type?
Thanks

Last edited by ratbikeharley; Sep 16th, 06 at 07:30 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech

Pertronics and Dave Ray's setup are essentially the same. IMHO, the benefit to Dave Ray's conversion is that it uses a common HEI module. If you break down on the road, you can find replacement parts at almost any auto parts store. But in either case, both Pertronics and Dave Ray's setups convert a standard breaker point distributor to an HEI setup. It's a small body, thus it will fit. Also, it will look stock to the casual observer and no need to reshape the firewall.

Just about everyone who has one of Dave's units loves it. But you'll have to contend with getting a hold of him and waiting for him to rework the dist. and send it back to you. With pertronics, you probably can obtain the parts locally and convert it yourself in a weekend. Just be sure the core you use is in good shape and replace the resistance wire as Eric stated. Other than that, the conversion is pretty straight forward. Dave Ray will rebuild your distributor, convert it and put a shine on it - all for about $200.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 05:51 PM
Team Member

You did say cheap. I say inexpensively, or the most value The HEI may fit with no problem. You may want to just try it out. The only trick is to replace the power wire to one that is not a resistor wire.
My budget is necessitated a used hand me down HEI. It fit tight but with no problem. Of course if you need to buy one you may not want to risk buying it, just to find you have a problem.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 06, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

When dealing with a conversion of your existing points distributor, or a boneyard hei, remember these are old parts that were once high precision instruments. Both will need some additional work to make them new.

I just bit on an msd 8360 distributor. $350 or so, and I'll never have to touch it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 06, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I have a new HEI distributor in my 78 Blazer that I don't drive. I thought about pulling it and trying to make it work. I think it only has 250 miles on it. The 69 camaro I bought, I'm not sure about the bushings etc. I think I will pull it and check it out. If it looks good, I'll probably buy the conversion.
What about the wire? Can't I just cut my old coil power wire and crimp on a new HEI wire to it? Will it work?
Any advice is appreciated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 06, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

To get full voltage to the hei, you need to cut that wire as far back as you can, 3-6 inches from the firewall is good, or just run an all-new wire from the IGN terminal on the fuseblock

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 06, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Check the fit before you do any cutting,, my bet is it isnt going to fit without doing some "massaging" of the firewall... firewall needs to be dented in about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch minimum..

Mark
Long Gone: 1984 Z28, 1989 RS
Current : 1967 Coupe w/350, 2010 2SS

My Photobucket >>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode