More 67 RS headlight woes... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 06, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Unhappy More 67 RS headlight woes...

I posted a couple of weeks ago after I fried the light wiring harness on my 67 RS/SS. I bought a new Factory Fit wiring harness, replaced the circuit breaker and all three relays. I also have new aftermarket motors that were installed with the previous attempt to get these things working. Additionally, I went out of my way to scrape and clean all terminals and ground connections. Hooked everything up tonight and gave it a try. The first time I tried it the doors opened but the headlights would not come on. I could not get them to close with the ignition in both the "on" and "off" positions. I checked all of my connections to make sure they were tight, looked under the dash for any obvious loose wires or blown fuses to no avail. Then something kind of stupid happened - I blew the horn a couple of times to test that, since I had also installed new horns to get that working. It blew fine, and suddenly my headlights came on. I cycled them on and off a few times, and each time the doors opened and closed like they should. I even tested their functionality with the ignition switch in both positions, and all seemed well. I then disconnected the positive on the battery and installed the alternator belt, which I had left off while testing. Reinstalled the positive cable, AND NOW THE LIGHTS AND DOOR MOTORS DON'T WORK AGAIN! Doors are stuck in the open position and no headlights. Everything else works - signal lights, dash and courtesy lights, guages, horn, etc. I'm at the end of my rope here! I'm starting to suspect that I have an issue with my headlight switch or ignition switch, or perhaps the diode on the brown wire off the ign switch (which I could not find).

Does anyone have any ideas on thing to check?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: More 67 RS headlight woes...

Its the alternator belt!

Run a separate ground wire from the headlamp/motor circuit to the negative battery post.

Using test light probe, check for available voltage from light switch to h/lamp assy.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 06, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Smile Re: More 67 RS headlight woes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
I then disconnected the positive on the battery
Tom,
This is probably not helpful...Where did you connect the heavy red wire from you're new harness, to the junction block on the pass side?

I agree with Everett that a bad ground is likely, but also I'd jumper the red wire from the junction block direct to the battery to test that that wire isn't corroded in the terminal.

Or maybe you just have to honk your horn before you turn on the lights!!!

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 06, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thumbs up Re: More 67 RS headlight woes...

Well, I figured it out - and it wasn't the alternator belt!

My first hint was when I noticed that the headlights would come on with the high beams, and the doors opened and closed properly. I recall reading somewhere that the lights themselves have to be working in order for the doors to close. So at this point I thought it would be a good idea to check the dimmer switch. I had power to the low beam circuit at this point (tan wire), so then I checked it under the hood. No juice, so this pointed to the harness connection at the junction block on the firewall. I wiggled this, and sure enough, they came on. Pushed the connector in a little tighter, and now everything works perfectly! On to the brake system....

thanks for the help, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode