67 rs grill or 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 06, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage
67 rs grill or 68

well i am finally starting to order all my parts for my long awaited dream ,67 rs convert ,and i was thinking that seeing as how i am changing out my intire rs front grill for a comlete grill package from classic ind. so that i dont have to deal with troublesome motors and relays.Heres my question should i stay with the 67 electric style ,or go with the 68 vacume style, due to the problems some have with the electric motors and relays would this make sense .love this site and everyones input.

Last edited by ragtook riches; Sep 20th, 06 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 06, 09:55 PM

Re: 67 rs grill or 68

My '67 RS vert came w/o motors. Wires + relays still there but only 2 small rubber stops (no limit switches at all) on radiator support which look to be '68 issue. I manually slide back the doors they snick back smooth + tight up against the stop. I'm fine with it can't advise you on either vacuum or electric as a choice but if it was mine I'd keep it 1967 on the motors.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 06, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech

If you went vacuum, you'd need to drill the 1" hole through the firewall for the vacuum lines to the headlight switch, plus add lines, reservior, check valves, relocate the windshield washer fluid reservoir. The vacuum system also has it's own issues. Ask any of the 68 and 69 guys who are converting to electric...

The original 67 RS motors had issues, but I think the modern ones are much improved. I would think that the modern setup that guys are retrofitting to 68 and 69 cars would fit a 67, as long as you had the right bellcrank setup.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 06, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

after looking into the 68 version abit i think i will stick with my67 style . i did not realize there were as many issues with the vacume type .thanks for the input this realy is a valuable site for trying to get it rite the first time!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 06, 02:47 PM
Team Member
Christropher

You'll be spending a lot in all the parts to make the vacuum operated doors function and be correct. Check out the www.retro-electro.net motors. They are MUCH improved over the original electric motors and switches.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 06, 03:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

The problem with the 67 RS headlight door setup was when the car got wet so did the motors. According to the AIM, Chevrolet added water shields over the top of the motors mid year. An even bigger problem was snow and ice. When the doors iced up the motors would burn up trying to move them.

If you donít drive your car when it is raining or snowing the stock 67 RS setup will last for years.

When I got my 67 the LH motor was not working. I took the motor apart and discovered the armature windings were burned. I purchased some fine "magnet wire" and rewound the motor by hand. My car is an early car and does not have the water shields stapled to the headlight assembly so I covered both motors with large heat shrink caps to keep the water out. Over twenty years have passed since my repair and my electric headlight doors are still working perfect!

If you have most of the original 67 parts in decent condition you should consider using them. If you donít have the original motors, or they are beyond repair, then go with the aftermarket electric system.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 06, 04:09 PM
Team Member
Christropher

The other main problem with the 67s, is the design of the limit switch setup. If the clutches on the motor don't make the doors hit the limit switch hard enough to depress the button, then the motor will keep on running and burn itself out. Some of the newer setups, like the one from Retro I posted above, does away with the limit switch setup and provides a lot sturdier motor that's also completely encased from the weather.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 06, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I got my '67 RS headlights up and running and agree that each system has its own issues. IMO, I would keep the '67 electric.

My brother had a '69 RS and we always had trouble with his headlight doors.

Both systems are really cool but neither is perfect

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode