MSD with 3 prong starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 06, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

MSD with 3 prong starter

I have a #8360 MSD "Ready to Run" with Blaster coil....new engine start-up. I have replaced the original resistor wire to the coil by running a new wire from the "ignition" terminal from the fuse box. I don't know if this terminal is hot during cranking so I am unclear if I still need the yellow connection from the starter to the coil for power during cranking. Can anyone clarify this for me....I've read the posts and am still not clear.

68 Camaro with replacement harness.

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 06, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: MSD with 3 prong starter

on 68-69, this wire is hot during crank, and is all you need. disconnect the yellow wire at the both ends and tie it back, or it won't hurt to leave it connected at both ends, just don't let one end flap around loose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 06, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim....Sam

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 06, 02:04 AM
Senior Tech

jim are you saying that 67's dont have power to the ignition terminal when cranking?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 06, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

There is ignition power when in the START position. The reason the yellow wire was added between the starter solenoid (R teminal) and the + (positive terminal) of the coil, id to aid in starting the engine with a full 12 volts vice a reduced voltage via the resistive wire.

By disconnecting the purple wire at the solenoid and testing the resistive wire, or new additional wire, with a DMM or a test light, one can see if ignition voltage is given from the ignition switch when in the START position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 06, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
jim are you saying that 67's dont have power to the ignition terminal when cranking?
I'm not completely positive on that. I had a 67 once (over 25 years ago!!) and what I recall is when I put in an hei (and bypassed the resister wire), the car would crank but not start until I hooked up the yellow wire from the starter. Again, this is a foggy quarter century old recollection.

Would love to hear for sure from someone who currently has a 67 with a known to be original ignition switch.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 06, 01:10 AM
Senior Tech

ok, thanks jim, i guess i will have to check whenever i get my 67 finished painting and rewired...
i will post the answer for you but, sadly, it might take a year to get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode