Alternator Conversion? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 06, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Question Alternator Conversion?

I have done alot of reading in the archives and am almost ashamed to ask another alternator conversion question, but here goes.

I have a 69 with factory A/C, electronic ignition, and stereo. Will the 10SI alternator provide enough amperage for me?

The reason I ask about the 10SI is it seems the easiest conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 06, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: Alternator Conversion?

Another thing. My current alternator has a wiring position of 12 O'clock. Is this correct for a 69 350?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 08:18 PM
Senior Tech

My answer would be - probably - it really depends on that stereo. The 10SI may struggle to keep everything going at idle. Personally, I'd go with a CS130. The effort is about the same and the conversion is well documented. You might have to fabricate an upper bracket and the lower bracket choice will depend on if you have accessory holes in the front of the heads (stock heads did not have accessory holes). In any event, you'll only have to do the conversion once so the effort kind of pays for itself in the long run.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I have found a 94 amp 12SI that should bolt right up. Shouldn't this be more than I need?

And yes I have stock heads.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Dave suggested, a CS130 would be the hot lick, but the 94 amp 12SI will be a good second choice.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Well I called three alternator shops in my area today. All three said they had the CS130 and the 12SI.

They all said they could make either of these one wire if I wanted. Two of the three shops said the only real advantage in the CS130 as far as my application,was that it would excite at a lower RPM than the 12SI. But they kinda leaned toward the CS130, but said with no more amps than I wiill be running either would work fine.

The third shop said he wasn't as sold on the CS130 as alot of people due to the amount of heat they can generate.He went on to say he had seen alot of them melted & burned up. And that he could build a 100 amp 12SI that has a regulator that is excited by A/C voltage which allows it to excite at lower rpm's. He said it is used alot by people with tractors or equipment that need their alternator to excite at lower rpm's.

All three shops said they would sell me a rebuilt alt anyway I want it built for $50- $65 dollars depending on which way I go.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:36 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Before deciding on a 1 wire or 3 wire you should read this:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Stick with 3-wire hook-up.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I definitely want to stick with the three wire. I called one of the shops today and was going to have them go ahead and build me a 12SI 3 wire.
When I told the guy I wanted to stick with the three wire setup he said " the regulators I use will work as a one wire or 3 wire allowing your dash light to still work". He said you can wire it either way you want when you put it on your car.

Anyone know what he's talking about? I need to get my alternator this week but I don't want a one wire setup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Did you check the mad electrical link posted above?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Did you check the mad electrical link posted above?
Yes I read it. But I don't know what regulator this guy is using in the alt he offered to sell me.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 06, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck 2 View Post
the regulators I use will work as a one wire or 3 wire allowing your dash light to still work". He said you can wire it either way you want when you put it on your car.
Wire the charging system for three wire. Take the car to the alt guy and show him the system, let him do a prognosis of it, write it down on your receipt of his findings.

This way you have it on record, he built it, you wired it up, he accepted the method, and/or made suggestions to improve, and now you have a warranty on the alternator from the vendor.

Search the Electrical Section for a wiring diagram or links to do it.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode