Want a CD player but keep original am/fm? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Want a CD player but keep original am/fm?

I used a very similar unit to this one and it works great. You can hide it in the trunk or under the dash and it plays thru your am/fm radio. The cassette holds 6 cd's so you have hours of cruising. Just wanted to give a heads up to folks looking at winter projects with their sound system. I dont know this ebayer at all, just wanted to alert folks to an option that works.

Pioneer CD player

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 03:29 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: Want a CD player but keep original am/fm?

An IPod (or other mp3 player) seems to be a much better choice for taking loads of music with you. If your stereo has an aux. input, or you have an FM transmitting adapter for your mp3 player, I think it beats a CD changer hands down. I have my 60G IPod video that I use. I copied all the songs off of my couple hundred CDs to it and still have room to spare. The stereo in my truck is specially made with an IPod input, but an aux input or fm adapter for your player would work.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

I agree Chris. Ipod or mp3 player is much better but alot of us old folks have huge collection of CD's and no way to put them onto mp3 or ipods..at least not that Ive heard about yet. So its (the CDplayer) an option.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 06, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Click:

Just put the CD in your drive, down load your new MP3 player software and transfer your music to it. My daughters is very simple just drag and drop and it's done.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 12:28 AM
Team Member
Christropher

As Joe said, the IPod (and I'm sure others have similar), comes with software that you simply put your music CD in your computer, open the application (ITunes), plug in your IPod, and drag and drop the music from the CD to your computer or your IPod. It's amazingly simple. Like I mentioned, I've moved thousands of songs off most of my CDs to my computer and my IPod. It really doesn't take long to do at all. CDs really are going the way of 8 tracks and cassette tapes....

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

You mean I have to go buy an Ipod now? I dont even have one of those yet lol gezz Im so behind the times.
I did just order a new Dell laptop that can burn cds and dvds so Im stepping up, right?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 08:26 AM
Team Member
Christropher

You're getting there!

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Got a 15.4" screen, Inspiron6400 , 2meg cache/1.83/667mhz, duo core T2400 with 1gb Ram, 80gb hard drive, dbl layer 8x dvd+/- 9 cell battery, Intel pro wireless Screen $714 weighs around 6lbs.

My old Dell Inspiron weighs 10 lbs and while still working, (good for garage work bench), its slow, Win98 and 7 years old. Now I will be hip after I get an Ipod lol

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan
Talking Re: Want a CD player but keep original am/fm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Got a 15.4" screen, Inspiron6400 , 2meg cache/1.83/667mhz, duo core T2400 with 1gb Ram, 80gb hard drive, dbl layer 8x dvd+/- 9 cell battery, Intel pro wireless Screen $714 weighs around 6lbs.

My old Dell Inspiron weighs 10 lbs and while still working, (good for garage work bench), its slow, Win98 and 7 years old. Now I will be hip after I get an Ipod lol
Radio who needs a radio So just put the laptop on the seat, a set of headphones and you got 2.5hrs of battery life before you out of tunes......

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech

Load up the ITunes Library in that new 80GB hard drive and you can transfer any songs or full cds from your laptop.
Better yet, now you can get a 200GB "Book" external hardrive for $99.99 at Office Depot and put every song you've ever heard on it. Amazing with everything else going up in price, computers keep giving us more for our money everyday. of course, you have to replace them almost that often.
I've started selling our 4000+ cds on ebay now. $$$ goes into Paypal and then I can buy all kinds of camaro goodies with the cash at z-bay.
Cd's will go the way of VHS tapes and cassettes before long.
sean

You Can't Fake Indifference

69 Camaro Convertible
57 Chevrolet Nomad
Jeeps
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

ok ok ... I got 2 mp3 players, one for Clickette and one for me. $79 each for Sandisk 2 GB Sansa m250 MP3 . Free shipping too from Dell 2 are you guys happy for me now? Im tuned up

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:19 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Did you do any research on that particular MP3 player to make sure it has either an adapter, to plug into an auxilary input (if your stereo has one), or an available FM transmitter adapter to transmit to an FM frequency that your car/home stereo can pickup when tuned to the proper station? These type of items are usually sold seperately. I'm not familiar with the one you got. The reason I went with the IPod is because of the huge amount of add on components out there for the device. Major stereo manufacturers, like Alpine, are making more and more IPod ready units. Here's what I bought for my truck:
This Alpine head unit. This unit has a special interface just for IPods, as well as aux inputs for other devices and controls on the stereo just for IPods. All I had to buy extra is a $30 full speed interface cable and I can control my IPod directly from the stereo just like I would a CD. For IPod users that do not have an "IPod ready" stereo, you'd need to purchase an adapter or FM transmitter adapter as I said above and it will work too, but you just have to control what songs are playing from the IPod instead of from the stereo head unit. The Alpine will also charge the IPod through it's interface, where as using an aux input or fm transmitter will require you to get a seperate cig lighter charging adapter to keep the player charged.
And this IPod. This one holds about 1,000 hours of music (128k bitrate) and is overkill for most music listeners as it plays video as well and is expensive. Love it though!

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

I already have the fm transmitter, we used it from portable cd player before I put in the 6 changer. The cord will plug into the mp3 player and away we go

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:36 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Looks like the Alpine 9857 is even better than the one I got months ago
http://www.alpinefullspeed.com/ Go here, enter the site, and click on the see how it works after you're in. I'm sure other stereo manufacturers have similar.

I know these full DIN head units don't help for our Camaros w/out cutting the dash, but the point of bringing it all up is point out where technology is going as far as portable music is concerned. And you can still use these MP3 players with older stereos via legacy interfaces.

Here's just some of the accessories available for the IPods to give you an idea of how popular they are, and these are accessories from Apple, not included is the thousands of IPod accessories by aftermarket manufacturors.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...PodAccessories

Ok, am I babbling yet?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 03:37 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I already have the fm transmitter, we used it from portable cd player before I put in the 6 changer. The cord will plug into the mp3 player and away we go
Great! Let us know how it plays for you. I'd really like to know.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode