Neutral saftey switch for B&M Pro rachet?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 06, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Neutral saftey switch for B&M Pro rachet??

I want to get to the track this weekend if possible but do not have the neutral saftey switch working in the car. Tranny is a TH400 with a B&M Pro rachet floor shifter. What is the best most straight forward way to hook this sucker up! I know from doing some searching that there is supposed to be the two large purple wires right??? Do I just use a Scotch lock to one of those wires and go the the supplied n/s switch?? Any and all help would be great! Thanks

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Neutral saftey switch for B&M Pro rachet??

Yes, that will work. The purple wire is routed from the crank terminal of the ignition switch to the S terminal of the starter solenoid. If the NSS switch is open (not in neutral) current to the start solenoid will be interrupted. Put er in neutral and it will crank.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Thanks for the reply....I see there is two wires. Should I just tap into one of them?? What if I pulled them of the factory switch and changed to the female type connector to hook to the n/s switch. Thanks for the help!

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 11:08 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Both wires need to run through the switch. The purple wire runs from the ignition switch through the neutral safety switch and then to the starter. The switch will only allow current to run to the starter when the trans is in park or neutral.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

As others have said, use the purple wires in/out.
But I hate scotchlocks, they have to be the hoakiest means of wiring invented, nothing worse than opening a hood or looking under a dash and seeing wires spliced off of wires all over using those, plus they are a voltage drop waiting to happen.
What I did, was take (2) short (approx 2") pieces of wire, put a spade (male) connector on one end, sized to fit into the purple wires' factory end, and the female that fit the shifters neutral safety switch on the other end. then use that as a litlle "harness" to make the connection, it looks cleaner, is totally reversable, and wont destroy the wires your splicing.
There should be a switch there for your reverse lights too, I used the same method on them as well.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 06, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

68406...Could you send me some pics of it??? Thanks!

My e mail is [email protected]

69 Camaro
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 06, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Oh man, I knew you were going to ask that . I really don't have a good picture of it, heres the only one I have, and you can just barely see the connection at the switches,

You can see the connection at the reverse light/ neutral safety switches, and the other end is just a plug in to the existing connectors, using flat "spade" (male) connectors that fit into them. Really a piece o cake.
Next time I tear into the console, I'm going to take better pictures and dimensions of the whole set up.
Sorry I can't be of more help!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode