New MSD Distributor I NEED HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

New MSD Distributor I NEED HELP

I have been rebuilding a 79 Z28 Camaro. At first my battery would drain completely out and i did not know why. I figured that one out. I am new at this anyhow and all the tech names i dont know . I'm the guy that learns as he goes. I pick up real quick. ANYHOW
I put a new distributor in and the blaster coil in and all the spark plugs/wires and for some reason it will not fire up. I thought it might be my battery but after being on the charger for 2 days it will kick over. Everything will turn(if this makes any sense) but it just wont fire up. I've thought i had my wires from the blaster coil to distributor mixed up but i've tripled and quadropled checked and they seem right. I had to cut the ingniction wire and put a connector so it would fit on the blaster coil. maybe that's it i dont know though. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME. I'VE ALMOST GOT IT DONE PLEASE SOMEONE THAT HAS MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS PLEASE HELP ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Re: New MSD Distributor I NEED HELP

if you need to know anything else please let me know by email or reply to this thread anything
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Ross

Are you sure that the firing order is correct when you swapped out to the MSD. You say that you learn as you go, pull the distributor out then set your top dead center and drop it back in with the rotor pointing towards the #1 cylinder. Then set your firing order again 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. Get a test light and make sure that you have juice at the coil. Sometimes it is something really simple that you missed so don't panic just start from the begining. Let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

1. Pull plug, attach spark plug wire, hold threads of plug against block/header/ground either by laying it in place using an insulated screwdriver an crank engine to see if you have good strong spark.
2. Check firing order of plug wires.
3. With cap off, is rotor pointed about at #1 when #1 is at TDC?
4. After this, we may need to quadruple +1 check the wiring.
-Scott

FDNY, you posted while I was posting.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

ok i'll check and get back with this thread. i really thank you for the help
if there's any other sollution please keep posting while i check everything
there was a spark plug wire that goes from the distributor to the msd blaster coil. maybe that's another thing to think about i've got it plugged in real good. one end is a regular boot and the other end is a little bit bigger with something hanging out the end to hook up to the blaster coil is that correct???
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

That's correct, the big cap goes to the coil and little cap goes to the distributor cap.

Have you got fuel going into the engine?
Have you got a timing light? If you do, hook it up to #1 spark plug, loosen the distributor clamp on the block, and use the timing light to "time" the spark to happen at the correct time.

If you have fuel, air, compression, and spark at the right time, the engine will run, guaranteed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 11:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

msd distributor wiring is very easy. 3 wires. Black goes to ground, screw it to something on the engine or firewall. Red goes to + side of coil. Third wire goes to - side of coil.

Ignition wire from car goes to + side of coil.

Tach wire goes to - side of coil.

Generally, if you have spark but the distibutor went in the wrong place, it will pop, sputter, or backfire thr the carb.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

ok i have fuel going to the carb.
3 wires from msd hooked up right. ingnition wire on posi sides of coil. the tach wire ( no clue ???) did not see another wire even close?? any ideas what color
the ingnition is brown which goes on posi side of coil
plugs are in order 18436572 clock wise. i'll check and see if i am getting a spark from the wires and from the coil.
what if i am what then any ideas????
and thanks for the reply's
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd's 79 Z28 Camaro View Post
the tach wire ( no clue ???) did not see another wire even close?? any ideas what color
Green
Quote:
what if i am what then any ideas????
and thanks for the reply's
Manually rotate the engine over to bring #1 cylinder up to the top of the compression stroke. You'll have to remove the spark plug and plug the hole with your finger to feel the compression. Align the timing marks up to where you want them, then, remove the distributor cap to see visually where the rotor is pointing, what wire or not. Hopefully, if the dist was dropped into place, it would be pointing to #1 cylinder iwre in the cap.

If the above works out, or the dist needs to be turned alittle, do it now. Otherwise, hook up the dist as normal, replace the plug, connect the plug wire, pump a couple of times on the go pedal, and start. You might have rotate the dist housing to time the spark to start the engine.

Good luck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 06, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

ok i'll check and get back with the forum
thanks to all of you
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 06, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

ok # 1 is in place and everything is hooked up. imma have to go get another msd coil cause this one is messed up the posi side post is stripped, because it's made in MEXICO. Just as soon as i get one today i'll put it in
thank you all
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 06, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

ok still a no go i set the timing and tried to fire it up but nothing i am sure i've got everything right i'll check again but if not imma send it to a garage
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 06, 03:10 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

What happens when you crank it? Are the plugs sparking?

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 06, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Just thinking,, make sure you have full 12 volts(no resistor wires) to the msd box ( the little red wire) and full battery voltage to the msd box ( big red wire) and make sure you dont have the white wire from the msd box hooked up to anything but a crank trigger ing ( which you may not have) If its grounded,, it will not start , no fire.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode