Key Switch Terminals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Key Switch Terminals

My 68 has a aftermarket start switch assy, and I am wanting to change it over to stock. The switch that is in it now looks like it came from Wally World, and belongs on a piece of farm equipment. I have a wiring diagram and did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. My old switch doesn't have any markings on the back, and my new Delco switch has 7 (I think) with key, acc, sol, ign, and so on. I see by the wiring diagram the order of the wires going around the switch, but not sure where to start, and wether the diagram is looking at the back of the switch or not. So I would appreciate it if someone could help get me started with what color wire goes to what terminal.

Thanks for your help.
MGRII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 06:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Key Switch Terminals

look here https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576
The 68-59 switch wiring s/b the same.
pm me for the passwrod to open the files, i'll be around for a few hours this morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks Jim, PM sent.

MGRII

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

and answered.

Guessing you're original connector has been hacked off?
you can get the terminals at napa, tho you may have to order a box of one hundred...lol
The connector body would need to come off someone's old harness unless you can talk M&H or AAW out of one.

Good luck!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks Jim!

Yes I guess the connector is missing, it's funny but I didn't even know that there was one until I read your post. It has spade terminal ends on the individual wires now, so I will replace them with new ones that I have. I really do appreciate your help.

MGRII
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 03:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Unless you're ina big hurry, put it here and in the member classifieds that you need a 68 (is 69 exactly the same) ignition switch connector with pigtails. I bet one shows up at your doorstep within 10 days, nearly free.

Regardless, make sure you attach the terminals or splice the wires the best possible way. I hate those hardware store terminals, especially in a critical application. I always cut the insulator off, slide some shrink tubing over the wire, then crimp em, then SOLDER them, then shrink the heatshrink to insulate them.

If you splice the wires, don't just hold em side by side and twist them together. I really need to put a pictoral of a proper splice in my sticky, it's very hard to explain...

Strip an inch and a half of insulation off both wires.

Hold them like you would tie a shoe lace, so the stripped part is crossing in the middle, and one wire has insulation on your left, the other on your right.

Give the stripped ends each a loose wrap, the wind each end around it's companion wire tightly, like a hangmans knot.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX----|||xx|||--XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It should look like that, the big X's are insluated wire, the dashes are stripped wire, and the lines and lil x's are the wraps.

Then solder it, and insulate it with heatshrink tubing. The finished product will be barely larger in diameter than the original wire, it will be electrically and mechanically as strong as the original wire, and it will be undetctable once the harness is taped.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 04:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Hey Guys,

I just replaced my wiring with an AAW kit.. I have all my old wiring pulled out, if you need something off of it, lemme know.

Thanks, Joe

69' Camaro X44 Base Coupe - 1\4 - 12.79
383 Stroker\700R4\Vigilante\12 Bolt Eaton Posi 3:55
QA1; Hotchkis; Vintage Air; IROC Steering Box
Owned and operated for over 20 years....................

04' CTS-V - Daily Driver -
-

LS6, Headers, Cam, Corsa exhaust, Electric cutouts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I would like the ignition switch connector with a pigtail. Just let me know how much and where to send the funds.

Thanks,
MGRII

I will also send you a PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 06, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Its yours, just PM me with your addy and I will get it out tomorrow.

Thanks, Joe

69' Camaro X44 Base Coupe - 1\4 - 12.79
383 Stroker\700R4\Vigilante\12 Bolt Eaton Posi 3:55
QA1; Hotchkis; Vintage Air; IROC Steering Box
Owned and operated for over 20 years....................

04' CTS-V - Daily Driver -
-

LS6, Headers, Cam, Corsa exhaust, Electric cutouts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 06, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I just want to say, Thank you to Jim and Joe for their help and generousity.

Mike (MGRII)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 05:39 AM
Senior Tech

I know that a 1969 ignition switch connector will NOT work on a 1968. 1969 was the first year when the ignition switch was placed on top of the steering column under the dash. It is/was completely different from earlier switches.

Also, I think that 1968 was the first year for the key warning buzzer. That would make the 1968 connector different from 1967. So the bad news is that you are most likely looking for a one year only connector. However, the good news would be that I would also think that nearly all GM cars in 1968 would have used that same connector.

JIML82
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 06, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Jim,
Thanks and you are right about the 68 specific connector. I will check with Joe to see what he has because there is no reason for him to ship a connector that I can't use.

Mike (MGRII)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode