Creating Switch For High Beams- Need Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Creating Switch For High Beams- Need Help!

I just bought a '91 Camaro RS and I failed inspection today due to the center brake light not working and the switch for the high beams is broken. I can probably fix the brake light, but I don't have time right now to yank the stearing wheel, and was wondering if there was an easy way to rig a temporary switch.
BTW, great site guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: Creating Switch For High Beams- Need Help!

You can connect the wires to a SPDT (single pole, double throw) switch. The wire from the headlight switch, light blue?, connects to the center pole. The low beam wire, tan?, and hi beam wire, light green?, each go to the remaining outer terminals.

I can't be sure on the color of the wires, the ones I listed are for 1st, 2nd and early 3rd gen. GM was very consistant with wire color codes, but I can't say for sure if they changed them on late model 3rd gens. I am also assuming the late 3th gen headlights were wired the same as it has been for 30 years. A wiring diagram would be very helpful in this situation.

Larry
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 06, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Creating Switch For High Beams- Need Help!

Optical...it is a pain to pull the steering wheel and replace a signal switch. But it isn't that hard if you have the right tools. I believe there are auto-zone stores there in lawrence - correct? (6th Street). They should have the loan-a-tool program for a refundable deposit. With the wheel puller and the right part, you should be able to have it done within 4 hours. Besides, it's thanksgiving. You could have that thing ready by this afternoon provided you local GM dealer has the part you need.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode