69 Camaro reverse lights don't work - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 06, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

69 Camaro reverse lights don't work

My 69 camaro has a muncie 4 spd with a hurst competiton plus shifter and headers. The reverse lockout linkage is missing, except for the bellcrank stud that bolts to the frame rail, so my reverse lights don't work. Ive moved the steering column from one extreme to the other with the ignition on and the reverse lights don't illuminate. When the column is not all the way to the left the key does not turn off. And I've confirmed both reverse bulbs are good.

It seems I need to trouble shoot the reverse switch first. I haven't dug into it yet but where on the column is the switch located and is it worth fixing since its my understanding that the headers interfere with the rods.
Is this true? any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel

Mel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 69 Camaro reverse lights don't work

Either the switch is on top of the steering column between the inst panel and firewall, or a trans mounted switch is missing.

Look for a receptacle connector on the engine side of firewall with two pins and their combined shape looks like a "T". Somewhere by the gas pedal on the firewall. If connector is there physically, then you need the switch, its bracket, linkage and harness.

The switch gets mounted on the two lower right side cover bolts and linkage connects to the reverse linkage on the tailhousing with the little linkage. The harness plugs into the firewall connector, the harness clip attaches to driver upper trans-to-bellhousing bolt. Adjust physical position of switch on its bracket to correct the operation of the reverse lights.

The above trans mounting is for a 67 & 68. I don't know if it carried over to 69. But yes, if column rod is not shoved up to its fullest position, ign key will not come out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Thanks for the reply but the 69 is different. I'm pretty certain the reverse lights should come on by rotating the portion of the steering column which rotates, there is a tab in the engine compartment that comes off the steering column where the upper reverse lockout rod attaches to, this tab will also rotate the same portion of the steering column.
thanks.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
mike

the switch is inside,on top of the column. i think it is removed with a 1/4" socket. mine was dirty enough to not make my lights work,cleaned it up and it was fine. Gary L was kind enough to send me a picture of his modified bellcrank and after using his idea, my lights now work with headers.

Mike

Mike, supposedly 69 350 SS
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Hi Mike, thanks for the tip, I was just under my dash checking and there is one large black plug assembly with a bunch of wires coming in and out of it. On the far right end of it, (right or lower end), when viewed from under the right side of the column, there is an area where an additional plug could attach to it but there are no wires going to that portion of the main plug at all. I can make out the letter RED, I also have a loose 2 wire female plug with a pink and orange wire. I wonder if my reverse lights have been disable by the previous owner. Also I was looking at the stud portion of the bellcrank assy and it is almost right against one of my header tubes. Looks tight. I'd like to see the picture of that modified bellcrank assy.
thanks,
Mel

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Actually I double checked and the wires on that loose plug are pink and green and actually a male plug. On the column under the dash just above the brake pedal is the black plug assy, the letters are actually PED, and there's also a white plug assy just above that at the same location on the column. I've also noticed a location on the the column below the brake pedal where there is a slot on the top of the column and evidence of a black plastic attachment, remnant of a strap and a small bolt. Could this be where the reverse light switch should be located?
Encouraging comments from any one.
Happy Thanksgiving, thanks,
Mel

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.

Last edited by melav8r; Nov 22nd, 06 at 05:58 PM. Reason: data ommitted
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Well not getting too many responses for this thread but after checking Ricks first gen's website and Classic Ind's catalog, I think the white plug assy above the brake pedal on top of the steering column is the ignition switch and the remants of a switch below the brake pedal on top of the column is actually where the back up light switch actually mounts.
Input encouraged, thanks all!!
Cheers,
Mel

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

The b/u lamp switch is located on the steering column about half way between the column mounted ignition switch and the floor. It is a white switch about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. It has a two prong plug with three wires (two pink in one hole and a green in the other). It is held in place by 2 quarter inch hex screws and is adjusted by sliding it clockwise or counterclock wise around the column. There is about 1/4" adjustment.

Gregg
69 RS/Z28 "Travln Z"
70 Chevelle SS396 Convertible "No Clonz"
67 EXL 2ELG 3SDL 4P 5BY
69 Factory JL8 Plain Jane w A/C
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
mark

the reverse light switch is at the front of the column by the rubber firewall boot. it has a black connector with a green wire on the left & 2 pink wires on the right .it has a mounting screw on each side . the ignition switch is up by the column to dash mount.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Hey many thanks for the input, just checked again and the loose connector under the dash is a 2 wire with a pink and a green wire, i jumped them and turned the key but the back up lights didn't come on. I double checked the open slot down by the floor and when I turn the column I feel the inner column hit one way then the other, I'm certain this is where the back up switch mounts. Now I just need to find the loose plug. Like I said the only loose plug I see under there is the 2 wire with one pink and one green.
Confused, thanks,
Mel

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 06, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
mark

see if the pink wire has power . check the green wire from the column connector to the reverse light socket for continuity
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 06, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Pink wire does not have power but green wire does go to reverse lights.
Don't know how to test for continuity but hooked up a tone generator to green wire at column connector and picking up the tone with a tone probe at the green wire coming off each reverse light socket in the trunk.
Did jump from hot batt on fuse box to green wire at column connector and still no reverse lights, probably not grounded due to missing back-up switch. Then jumped from hot batt to pink wire and my red "GEN" idiot light comes on?
Any thoughts, anyone?
thanks,
Mel

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 06, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

Heres some closure, Rechecked pink wire for power and it is hot with key on, maybe after putting the jumper on it several times it cleaned the contact, who knows? But it has power. Jumped the pink and green wire at the column connector and confirmed power at the socket but still no reverse lights. Jumped from the socket contact and a good ground source, straight to the bulb and it lit up.
Thouroughly cleaned sockets and reverse lights now working when I jump at the column connector.
Well, that takes care of the electrical trouble shooting minus replacing / reinstalling the back-up switch and installing the interlock / reverse bellcrank and rods, still have the header issue to contend with and make certain the interlock mechanism works with the competion plus shifter body.
Stay tuned. Openly accept suggestions / guidance.
Happy Holidays.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 11:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

melav8r,

I have the same problem with my 1969. This car was originally a column shifted powerglide. The prior owner made it a floor shifted 4 speed. It has a T-10 in it now. When I bought it, the reverse lights would come on when you hit the brake pedal. They had the reverse lights wired to the brake lights. I had that problem fixed and the back half of the car was re-wired.

I had the technitian try the rods you mentioned but he said the headers were intefering. That means no reverse lights on my car.

Bottom Line: Screw the 4 speed in this car!! First chance I get, I'm going to get rid of it and put a THM 400 w/ a full manual valve body and maybe a reverse pattern. I swear to you, I will never buy another car that was coulmn shifted and made into a floor shifted car unless everything works first....I know the purists are going to hate me for this...But due to the issues with this set up I'm going to say...Bye Bye 4 speed!! Old 4 speeds are junk anyway!! I'll take a highly modified THM 400 over a 4 speed anyday!!

Good Luck and let me know how it works out!!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mel

SSG's&H,
Well I think I got it licked, my reverse lights are now working at the switch like they should, found and installed a good used reverse switch as mine was missing but it was just plug and play since the plug was dangling under dash.
Now I just need to pick up the correct reverse interlock bellcrank and rods. DR Classic seems to have the best deal for about $75, repop. One of the levers on the bellcrank needs to get cut off and relocated, actually all your doing is moving the bellcrank lever, that the lower rod connects to, outboard away from the header. Then the rod needs to be bent a bit to make the relocated bellcrank lever. My car was originally a 4 speed but the interlock and reverse switch were missing since I've owned the car.
As far as an automatic, they're cool and a reverse pattern is cool too, but I've always been a 4 speed man myself.
Thanks for the reply.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode