Where to pass battery cables through firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Where to pass battery cables through firewall

I'm relocating my battery to the trunk. Where do people route the battery cables through their firewall? I have a stock firewall (not smoothed). Thanks much.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 09:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Where to pass battery cables through firewall

Most run them under the carpet along the sill to the rear seat and into the trunk compartment. I have seen holes drilled at the point where the floor starts to rise up at your feet in the passenger floor area. Just be sure to use a grommet and use seam sealer arround the holes.

Kev
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 09:42 AM

On the 69 there is a groove underneath the sill plate, that is where I ran mine. I used a bulkhead fitting on on the toe board pass. side, there is a ledge there. On the neg. cable I ran it to the trunk to the battery mount. I also ran a ground from the frame to motor and frame to body. Google Mad Electric there is really good info there .

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonblue 69 View Post
On the 69 there is a groove underneath the sill plate, that is where I ran mine. I used a bulkhead fitting on on the toe board pass. side, there is a ledge there. On the neg. cable I ran it to the trunk to the battery mount. I also ran a ground from the frame to motor and frame to body. Google Mad Electric there is really good info there .
That's what I did. Just buy one of these, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I also ran a remote starter solenoid kit so the positive cable running under the carpet is only hot when cranking the motor.
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml

Call MAD Electrical first and they will point you in the right direction.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Here's a pic of where I put a bulkhead connector like Rod linked to:

It's only hot when the key is turned to "Start".
Eric68 was kind enough to share the following wiring diagram which worked great:

I put a maxi-fuse on the alternator wire.
Works very well.
More than you asked...sorry about that.
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Perfect. Thanks guys.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 06, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Corey

Hey scott, im in the exact same place and that diagram helps more then you know
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

But men!!!! The wiring methods look great,,,,except,,,, why run the cables all the way to the firewall inside the body? Mine have exited via holes in the trunk floor and then forward via the frame. I first did that in the 70's.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

apbtrock,
glad that helped...wish I could take credit, Eric68 is the one who drew it. I added a Maxi-fuse between the alternator and battery. Make sure you use heavy wire to run current all those long distances. For my battery cable to solenoid to firewall to starter, I used 1/0 wire. You can get good 1/0 wire from a welding supply store. Lots of strands and flexible. I mounted the ford solenoid directly to the exterior of the battery box and the switch to the side. The handle runs out the trunk and through a pre-existing hole in the bumper. When the handle is removed, you'd never know it was there.

Mr. Ficara,
Why wouldn't you run it in the car? The passenger door sill is channelled just as the driverside is...perfect for cable routing. Nothing inside the car is going to abraid the wires worse than road debris would. I mounted my battery on the passenger side and routed the cable on the same side...if underneath the car, I would have to take care not to run it in proximity to the fuel line.
Scott

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 06, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FamilyFun View Post
Here's a pic of where I put a bulkhead connector like Rod linked to:

It's only hot when the key is turned to "Start".
Eric68 was kind enough to share the following wiring diagram which worked great:

I put a maxi-fuse on the alternator wire.
Works very well.
More than you asked...sorry about that.
Scott
One thing you might want to do is run the wire, with a fusible link, from the Alternator to a distribution block, then you can run wires to the battery, tie in the main harness, etc, etc. This also allows you to splice into the wire from the S terminal of the remote solenoid and run it into the the engine bay. Connect you remote start switch to the distribution block and S terminal wire and crank away.

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 03:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FamilyFun View Post
Patrick,
Mr. Ficara,
Why wouldn't you run it in the car? The passenger door sill is channelled just as the driverside is...perfect for cable routing. Nothing inside the car is going to abraid the wires worse than road debris would. I mounted my battery on the passenger side and routed the cable on the same side...if underneath the car, I would have to take care not to run it in proximity to the fuel line.
Scott
I have a lot of stuff in those channels but my concern is the bulkhead connector shown above the carpet. That looks scary. And what's wrong with the fuel line? Makes a great thing to clamp the cables to.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
I have a lot of stuff in those channels but my concern is the bulkhead connector shown above the carpet. That looks scary. And what's wrong with the fuel line? Makes a great thing to clamp the cables to.
Not sure why it's scary. It's a purpose designed 'through bulkhead' electrical connection. If you look at the wiring diagram, the only time that post and wire are hot is when the engine is actually starting...as soon as the key is released to 'on' or 'run', the solenoid drops power to that line. As to the fuel line, I'm pretty sure the rule book says you can't run your power cable in proximity to the fuel line...if vibration wore the insulation and it arc'd while attached to the fuel line...that would be bad. Scott

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

You know Scott,,,the more I look at your schematic,,,,,, Hmmm. I took off my Ford solenoid a couple of years ago. I had it wired according to Hotrod Magazines Personal letter to me. (cool) I think I'll use your method. Still not sold on the need to run cables inside the car,,,,

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

On my 73 Nova I ran it through a watertight grommet in the firewall close to where the one in an above picture shows the through fitting. I put a 90 degree bend on the terminal end on my 1/0 wire to where the wire hugged close to the top of the starter solenoid. I do like the through fitting in that if the motor has to be removed the cable can be unbolted at the firewall unlike mine that is one wire from the starter solenoid to the rear mounted ANL fuse and relay system. If the bare stud on a connection like on the through hole bushing seems unsafe from an uncovered power source, take some tool handle rubber dip material or some silicone and put it over the connection. Should you have to service it later the coating peels off.

As far as routing always try to route in inside the car where it can more easily be protected. Very flexible 1/0 is run under a vehicle will exhibit some droop between the clamps but a person could add a counduit onto the outside of it like they do with some home wiring. Here's a shot of some 1/0 I added braided heater hose over the wire to make it look nicer and to help prevent any abrasions or heat from affecting the wires insulation. It's the braided line below the spark plugs in the below shot.

http://image02.webshots.com/2/4/98/9...0YaHrGT_ph.jpg

I had to run some 1/0 under a 66 Impala last year and what a pain. I would have preferred doing it under the carpet but some idiot glued the carpet down to the floor. If you do opt for under car or even in area's you need support buy the better Adel clamps. These clamps have a rubber insert in the metal portion that clamps onto the wires insulation.

On my 73 I have a seperate ground wire off of the tranny tailshaft bolt and this is run back to the battery using one of the floor plugs I modified to pass the cable into the interior.

When you make the terminations, solder the connection.

Regardless of where you run the wire, protect the wire with a fuse. I've wired many a rear mounted battery system and I use ANL style fuses and holders.

http://image08.webshots.com/8/6/43/3...5lzaqIa_ph.jpg

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode