Correct RPM? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Correct RPM?

My factory tach appears to be off about 1000 RPM's. I have got pointless electronic ignition. At 60mph tach shows 3800 RPM's tire size and gears ratio I should be about 2500-2800.
Any thoughts on this, do I need a resitor in my tach lead from distributor?

69 Z/28 Hugger Orange X33 Four Speed
Tuck Jones
Aberdeen Ms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 06, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Correct RPM?

Tachometers are fickle things - especially the OEM units. You might try a tach filter (search the archives) to see if that helps. Seems like Jim M. posted a home-made tach filter in the Tech Reference or in the sticky at the top of the page.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Correct RPM?

Thanks Dave.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I thought the tach filters were for bouncing tachs not calibration type issues? My tach is off by 350 rpm and I've been waiting to send it out for calibration. Has anyone solved the issue with a filter?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

The tach circuit is a frequency to voltage converter. The signal on the tach lead from the coil will be a 12 volt square wave (or 9 volt) with large voltage spikes riding on it that reach 50 volts or more (up to a few hundred volts). The tach circuit attempts to strip off those pulses and convert them to a voltage. Trouble is HEI and other non-stock ignition systems present a different signal that can fool the circuit. Bouncy tachs occurr when the voltage is high enough to break down the diodes and/or transistor(s) in the circuit. But calibration can also be affected. The filter is a pretty simple thing to construct from junk parts and worth a try.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 06, 02:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

My filter is in the electrical basics sticky.
It helps bouncy needles, don't know about it helping accuracy, it could.

I believe I also recall a post about adjusting a tach. Think it was by farm boy, and may have referenced a 68 repro tach, I know my tach has a tiny adjustment pot on it's printed circuit board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode