Turn-signal dash light won't go off - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

Turn-signal dash light won't go off

My left turn-signal dash light (arrow) has decided to stay on even when not using that blinker. It flashes correctly when I do use that blinker, and the tail lights blink properly as well. Even though the dash light stays on, the tail lights on that side do not stay in the brighter "on" position. Where should I look first to try and figure out why this is staying on? Thank you in advance for your input.

1969 RS coupe Glacier Blue, GM HO 350 crate, 4-speed Muncie, ceramic Hooker headers, 3" Flowmasters, 10-bolt posi w/ 3/42's, Hotchkis suspension front/back, Bilstein shocks, multileafs, black factory interior, woodgrain dash, black Procar Rally seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 09:27 AM

Re: Turn-signal dash light won't go off

sound to me like you have a bad ground , check all your grounds under the dash... ect.. good luck , chris
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 06, 06:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Does the dash T/S indicator only glow with the parking/headlights on? Like Chris said, check for a bad ground. But, the ground problem is probably at the left parking light. The dash T/S indicators are tied into the parking lights. When there is no ground at the parking light socket, current flows from the light switch, through the parking light filament, through the T/S filament, then through the dash T/S indicator to the ground on the dash.

Larry

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 06:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yup, like larry said, check the grounds at the tail light on that side, also the parking light in front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Chris

Now that you guys mention it, I noticed the other night while the car was idling in the driveway that the front parking light on that side was out. I tapped on the glass and it came on. Since then I've been meaning to look at it. Sounds like this issue is connected (literally) to the T/S light.

1969 RS coupe Glacier Blue, GM HO 350 crate, 4-speed Muncie, ceramic Hooker headers, 3" Flowmasters, 10-bolt posi w/ 3/42's, Hotchkis suspension front/back, Bilstein shocks, multileafs, black factory interior, woodgrain dash, black Procar Rally seats.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to joyride_

I just thought I'd resurrect this bad boy instead of making my own. I have the same issue here with my Dad's Camaro. His left turn signal indicator stays lit in the dash when I turn the lights on, and only the passenger side parking light is on with the lights on. After reading some of the previous threads including this one it's a ground issue I'm guessing? I have taken a wire wheel off a drill and redone some grounds I've seen near the headlights and one by itself in the front somewhere and has had no effect. I see that there is a ground in the middle of the back of the trunk near the key hole but it's too far down, and very awkward to get to because of our wiring and shut off switch real close. Are there any other things I should check? I don't know what the headlight switch looks like either. There is a switch or something on the back end of the steering column that has no connectors on it but 2 terminals just sitting there by their lonesome...lol What is that?

Forgot to mention, we just replaced the connectors and bulbs with some cheap ones from autozone. That hasn't changed anything either.

Brian
MY RIDE

01 S10 Xtreme 2/3 drop, BUILT 4.3L v6, 5spd
DADS RIDE
69 Camaro 500+ hp 355, t400, currie ford 9inch 4.56 gears, 100 shot

Last edited by joyride_; Apr 17th, 11 at 12:04 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 12:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Probably the same fix here; bad ground on the left parking light. Could be the bulb base not making good contact with the socket or the socket is not grounded in the parking light assembly.

There's a problem with this scenario, however; even without a ground, when you turn on the parking lights, current flows through both the parking filament and T/S filament causing just the parking filament to illuminate. If any of these filaments are burned out, there's no longer a current path back to the T/S indicator.

Are we still saying the passenger parking light is the only one lit? The driver's side should be lit if the dash T/S indicator lights also.

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I just read on another thread, and also same thing as you mentioned. Are the turn signals actually grounded by themselves, the base touching the aluminum plate thing it mounts into? Because we have silicone, in our new bulb connectors to hold it to the plate, so if it's supposed to be grounded that way, I believe ours isn't because it's filled with silicone? lol

Could that be the problem? We have silicone holding in the passenger side too, but I don't think as much, so maybe there's a slight chance that one is being grounded?

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 12:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

On the lone connector, are the wires purple and purple/white?

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride_ View Post
Because we have silicone, in our new bulb connectors to hold it to the plate, so if it's supposed to be grounded that way, I believe ours isn't because it's filled with silicone?
Grab a jumper wire and touch one end to the bulb's base and the other to a good ground. That will bypass any silicone issues.

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

that lone connector or switch, whatever it is, that's on the steering column closest to the firewall, has no wires to it, and no purple, or striped wires near-by also.

andddd I can do that with the jumper wire here in a minute or 2...gotta eat! appreciate your help.

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride_ View Post
that lone connector or switch, whatever it is, that's on the steering column closest to the firewall, has no wires to it, and no purple, or striped wires near-by also.
Oh, you must be talking about the neutral safety/backup lights switch.

Current Project:
69 Z/28 Resto-Mod
Next In Line:
83 Z28 Restoration
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 11, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

actually, that might be it...it does look kinda like that but we already have by the shifter? btw our back up lights dont work i don't think but we do have different taillights on it now which i don't think have backup lights in the actual taillights...i don't remember without looking..lol

i haven't done the jumper wire yet either we've been out driving around making sure we got all the kinks out on other bs, motor, electric fan and what not...i'll get to it though promise!!

Brian
MY RIDE

DADS RIDE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode