Installing OE tach.. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Installing OE tach..

I'm installing an OE tach in the dash of a '69 where a fuel gauge once was. The new OE tach as 3 terminals: 12volts, grd, and an unknown. I have no instructions to follow. I have not found a wiring diagram for a factory installed tach. All the diagrams I have are for a fuel gauge in that location.

Any helpful hints?

Thanks,

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 06, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Re: Installing OE tach..

Other wire should be your signal from the neg side post of the coil. Or if your using a MSD box it will be the tach signal.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 03:14 PM
Tech Team

correct.... it should be a green signal wire you will need to run it yourself since this was a nontach car

67 Camaro ss
67 camaro rs/ss 396 4 spd...now....496,TKO, fuel injected, protouring project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for the info. The car I'm dealing with has butchered dash and wiring. I'm removing Moon electric speedo and tach (old hot road style black face) and going back to OE. There are at least 8 wires running thru the speedo hole in the firewall. The cluster housing was hacked up to put the Moon gauges in and the Pioneer stereo did a number on the radio opening. A fine winter project in deed!

Dave

1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 06, 11:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mel

When viewed from the rear the top left terminal says IGN which goes to the switched ignition terminal on your fuse box, usually a pink wire. The lower terminal is GRND which is of course is a black wire which goes to any good ground and the top right is TACH which is usually a brown wire which goes thru the firewall to the negative post on your coil. All the repro houses, Classic Ind's, Ricks First Gen and DR Classic, sell a tach harness, about $20, or make your own with female crimp on terminals. Now are you gonna run a center fuel gauge or a console mounted fuel gauge?
Ricks First Gen probably has the most accurate looking center fuel gauge, all you need are the posts or terminal ends from your old fuel gauge and the original plug will work!!
Check this link, if you can't click on it, copy and paste to the URL window:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48391

You can use the back of the tach to make a paper template to mark the cut out if you don't have one, good luck!! I have pictures of dash cut outs so you get the right idea if you need to see one. Just PM me.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 06, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I plan to use the console gauge setup since there are also ugly Moon gauges there. All thoses gauges have also been spliced into the under dash harness with twist ties. What a mess!

Dave

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 06, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech

Tach Template
http://69camaro.nextmill.net/temp/tach_template.jpg

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech
Mel

Fred,
The thread I posted the link to provides good info for cutting out your dash center section if your installing the center clock to go with the tach and gauge setup. You should be able to find an aftermarket harness to power and light it or just make your own. Good luck.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode