HELP Gas gauge stays on "E" - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
HELP Gas gauge stays on "E"

And yes, it has some gas in it.........

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: HELP Gas gauge stays on "E"

Brown wire in body harness goes to rear for gauge. Zero ohms is empty, 90 ohms is full.

Take ohmmeter and measure at trunk, drvr kick panel, at sending unit, or behind gauge for ohms value. When at sending unit, be sure ground strap (black wire) is on a good ground, usually at pass side tank strap under trunk floor.

Zero ohms is empty, 45 is half full, 90-100 ohms is full. Console gauges have resistor across gauge connection to calibrate gauge, somewhat, I think. Turn key to IGN and check for voltage to sending unit from gauge and at sending unit, maybe. At least through/to trunk connection.

Could be fuse also.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 01:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Everett's tests are exactly what I would do, but we don't all have a meter or know how to use it (tho I suggest you get one and learn how to use it, if you don't, check the electrical basics sticky)

But.... There's an easier way.

In the trunk, center rear, disconnect the tan (brown at this age) wire from the 2 wire connector. Turn the power on. If the circuit is good back that far, the guage will go way past full. (the second wire in that connector is the license plate light, don't mix em up!)

Either way, get back to us.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

JIM when i disconnect the said brown wire the gauge goes past full as it should with infinite resistance...I am having trouble with this because I cant find a schematic...

BTW...I am a 10yr Aviation Electricians mate ......

November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

On the disconnected tan (brown) wire, what is the ohmic value into the sending unit referenced to ground?

If you read some value of ohms, then the sending unit should be working. Remember the ground wire I mentioned earlier?
Back feed the tan connector referenced to ground and read the voltage from the gauge in both disconnected and connected. Should be the same value. If the voltage drops dramaticly when connected, then not enough volts (current) coming from the gauge, bad or corroded connection from the gauge to the trunk lead.

Driver's kick panel is the body connector from the dash harness to body harness.

I was a Navy Communications tech.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Dec 5th, 06 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 02:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskeesour View Post
JIM when i disconnect the said brown wire the gauge goes past full as it should with infinite resistance...I am having trouble with this because I cant find a schematic...

BTW...I am a 10yr Aviation Electricians mate ......
Then we're on the same page...lol. I was a radar tech in the navy in another life.

Schematics are easy, check the elctrical basics sticky at the top of this forum, find and download the schematics, and pm me for the password to pen them.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Everett, the ohm value at the sender to ground is 24.5. thats about how much gas is in it. When its disconnected the gauge drives past full....

Thanks Chief.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskeesour View Post
Everett, the ohm value at the sender to ground is 24.5. thats about how much gas is in it.
Good, 1/4 tank of fuel.
Quote:
When its disconnected the gauge drives past full....
Good, does what it is supposed to do.

Now, you hook up the gauge and it shows zero/empty. I wonder what the voltage is reading?

You might substitute a rheostat, 0-500 or 0-1K, or anything, would be good for the sending unit. This way you can control the gauge and better troubleshoot. Using JimM's sticky on schematics, you can do this.

I would check voltage available for the sending unit. I think there should be a shunt resistor to lower battery voltage to 5 or 7 volts on the back of the gauge or on the fiberboard. You might hook up the DMM as an ammeter and look at the current flow when 1/2-1/4 tankful is selected. Zero ohms will show max current, empty tank. Read available voltage at the trunk disconnected, then the available voltage connected at the trunk, you may have to backprobe the connector to read. If gauge goes to empty, then the shunt resistor may be burnt open.

'
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

GREAT!!! AAAARRRRGGGG!!! now the gauge is being tempermental! It just showed me a 1/4 tank! then it quit. What is the black wire attached to the trunk latch housing? It also comes from the same conduit under the latch that the gas gauge wire/lic plate wire comes from? I noticed it was a bad ground....

Thanks Chief.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 06, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Ground (return) wire for the license plate light.

'
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 06, 06:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yer getting some weirdness...

Gas guage problems are very common, but for the most part your readings indicate "normal".

There is an article in electrical basics on troubleshooting the fuel guage, might help.

Is this a console guage car?
If it is, send me an email, I'll reply with a different schematic, the one posted is for non-guage cars.
Note the circuit is the same, just different connectors and stuff in different places.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 06, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

NOW, when I disconnect the sender, it goes past full. When I check resistance, I only get about 8ohms. If the gauge drives past full when 'open', doesnt that mean that my gauge and wiring is good all the way to the sender? Im starting to think bad sender... the gauge drives past full everytime I disconnect it...thanks guys!!!

Thanks Chief.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 06, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Should I just say the heck with it and buy a rear body wiring harness? I say this cause my trun signals work but my brake lights dont. Nor does the brake lamps work when I turn the headlights on....This sux...know why? I am on a military installation and they could care less if I am just cruizing my car around because 'the lights HAVE to work...' this sux! I cant drive my car cause the lights dont work...the gas gauge is screwed up...yada yada yada, blah blah blah...(as i cry myself to asleep)

Thanks Chief.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 06, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like the batt ground to the body may be weak as well. I run into this alot with trailers. Try a new ground wire from battery to firewall. If this works you can buy the chassis grounding kit from any repop shop.

Hope this helps

Last edited by dragracinrs; Dec 6th, 06 at 11:57 AM. Reason: cant type
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 06, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Tail light issues on a 68 are often casued by the tail lights not getting a good ground. New paint in the trunk will do this every time. I get some external star washers and put them under a couple of the tail light mounting nuts on each side. In fact, I use them under every ground connection on the car.

From the sounds of your gas guage, I'm thinking you got some sender weirdness. You might check the ground wire, it is attached to the body on the pass side in front of the gas tank. I'm thinkin yer gonna need to pull that tank out tho.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode