67 RS Front clip on my 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 06, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

67 RS Front clip on my 68

I just purchased an entire front clip off a 67 RS to install on my 68 base coupe.

Now, besides the cosmetics (going to cut out the holes for the marker lamps on the fenders) this should be fairly plug and play right? As I understand it,
67's were electric as opposed to the 68/69's vacuum operation.

Will I need to change anything on the interior of the car? From what I understand in 67, the headlight switches were the same between base/rs the only difference is some sort of resistor in line with the wire comming off the ignition....is that 100% neccesary, and if so where can I pick this up?

Will the connection at the firewall be the only one needed to make this work (they worked prior to removal from the car)

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 06, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: 67 RS Front clip on my 68

I'm sorry, not resistor, diode

Jason
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 06, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The under dash diode harness allows the RS door system to be turned off with the ignition. If you don’t install the diode harness the RS system will be hot at all time. Without the diode harness the risk of burned out motors from problems with limit switches, relays or motor clutches are greater. You also run greater risk of a dead battery. Even without the diode harness, you still need a wire from the headlight switch to the RS relay panel under the driver fender. The diode harness can be purchased from most suppliers for about $35. Good luck. Also, check out my 67 troubleshooting page: http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 06, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

thanks, I already printed your guide out and read it about 5 times. Where in NJ are you? I'm in Cherry Hill.

So if I pick up the diode harness, and then run a wire from my headlight switch to the relay panel, everything should work (assuming everything is actually hooked up right)

Are there any guides anywhere for replacing this diode harness? If I read correctly, it connects to the ignition switch but where does it go? And what wire should I tap from the headlight switch to run to the relay panel....are there any pictures of where to connect this wire to on this relay panel?

Jason
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 06, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Here is how Tim explained the installation of the diode harness in an earlier post:

"Diode harness comes back through the firewall. Lt blue wire is pulled from the headlight switch, insert unshielded connector in the slot you just removed the lt blue wire from, plug the wire you removed from the switch into the shielded connector provided on the harness.
Brown wire is removed from the ignition switch, unshielded wire from doide harness is inserted into the switch where you just pulled he brown wire out of and then slide the wire you pulled from the switch into the shielded connector on the diode harness.
wires can be easily removed with a small screw driver inserted to force the locking tab down and allows the connector to be pulled out."

It sounds complicated but its not hard and will make much more sense once you get the diode harness in your hands.
Im in the NW corner of NJ in West Miliford.
Call me if you have any questions 973 728 7232.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 06, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marktat View Post
Im in the NW corner of NJ in West Miliford.
Call me if you have any questions 973 728 7232.
Thanks! I hope you mean that because I'm sure I'll be using it when it comes closer to actually hooking everything up.

Jason
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 06, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Sure, anytime....well before 9 PM EST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode