no start on hot engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bruce

no start on hot engine?

where do i look for this problem,car warms up on a hot day & sometimes wont start till it cools. Is this bad engine wiring harness or bad starter or both this happened to me in the middle of a cruise please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 10:33 PM
Tech Team

Re: no start on hot engine?

I had that problem myself several years back, know how you feel. Could be the starter , but first I would try some other remedies which may be more likely.

If the starter wires become overheated for some reason such as close proximity to exhaust headers resistance in starter wiring causes a drop in supplied voltage to the starter and there is not sufficient juice to properly operate the starter. That is why the vehicle will usually start fine after a cooling off period.because the wires are producing sufficient voltage to operate the starter.
A remedy which often cures the problem is to install a Ford-type solenoid some place inside the engine compartment away from major heat, i.e., the inner fenderwell or firewall. This solenoid is placed between the battery and starter solenoid and when the ignition is turned on the remote solenoid gives the solenoid on the starter a higher than normal jolt which is often enough to overcome the resistance created by heat.
The Ford solenoid is not very expensive (approx. $25 or less) and can be found at most good auto parts stores. Jeg's and Summit also usually have them in kit form complete with all installation instructions fittings.

Bert
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bruce

what if I just replaced the harness with new, plan on doing it down the road anyway. Oh, and it has stock manifolds

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 10:51 PM
Tech Team

Egore just a little more info that sliipped my mind . You might also install a starter heat shield which may help your problem. If the situation persists after that and the starter and wiring are good I woud strongly consider the remote solenoid route. It cured my identical problem three years ago. I currently have a post about my starter problem, but don't think my remote solenoid is at fault. Worked fine yesterday.

Bert
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 10:54 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by egore View Post
where do i look for this problem,car warms up on a hot day & sometimes wont start till it cools. Is this bad engine wiring harness or bad starter or both this happened to me in the middle of a cruise please help
when it won't start, had it already been shut down and then tried to restart.... or did it die, and then an attempted restart? Last summer, while my car was idling, it would die a few times. Ended up being borderline vapor lock of the fuel. It wouldn't start again for a few hours.... just a thought. I wasn't sure if your's wouldn't start to begin with, or it had died....

Blown 69 RS Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 11:01 PM
Tech Team

Egore. just saw your reply. If your wiring harness is in question it could cause or contribute to your problem. nevertheless if it makes you more comfortable go ahead and replace the wiring. It may or may not cure the hotstart plague. Either way I highly recommend the F--- solenoid route. Inexpensive, easy to install, and often works great..Many, many on this forum have done so and had great sucess. Sure beats pulling up to a cruise-in swelling with pride for your great ride and then having the dreaded click, click, when you go to restart in front of all the other gearheads! Been there, done that.

Bert
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

The year and engine would help as well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 06, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bruce

thanks, know I know where to start,gotta go to bed, i work in 4 hours.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 06, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

I had the same problem on a Corvette, the heat shield solved it.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 06, 07:05 AM

Once on a 69 I owned in the mid 80's, a automatic if that is what we are talking about, the wiring for the neutral safety switch would heat up and prevent start up. A quick fix with thicker gauge wire. You should be able to hold the wires in your hand, if you can't because they are too hot I would start there. Remember thicker gauge will fix all heat up problems.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
bruce

the car is a 67 rs with a ( 283 came from 66 chevelle) auto powerglide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode