Crimper for Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chip

Crimper for Wiring

Anybody know if a sears 19.99 crimper/stripper will do the job with the American Autowire classic update wiring kit? I plan on sodering too.. but just hope this crimper works..

68 Camaro
355 sbc, Holley 4160, vortec heads, dynomax jet coated headers, 2 1/4 custom dual exhuast with original 40 flowmasters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Crimper for Wiring

IMHO no...well maybe. I use a set of ratcheting crimpers. They crimp tighter and neater than the cheap crimpers. The downside is they cost $50 to $80.

The cheep crimpers will work if you put some muscle into them. Be sure to give em a tug before you put them in place to make sure the wire doesn't come out.

There are some short-jaw crimpers that look like a set of snub nodes pliers with long handles. Those work pretty well, but they may be for non-insulated terminals. They aren't too expensive either. I like using the non-insulated terminals. They are much more slender and when combined with a piece of heat shrink they look more professional IMHO.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chip

Hey thanks Dave, I will try these out and if they dont work will look for the needle nose ones..

68 Camaro
355 sbc, Holley 4160, vortec heads, dynomax jet coated headers, 2 1/4 custom dual exhuast with original 40 flowmasters.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I have been using the $20 crimpers for years. I am old school and also solder. Never had a solder connection go bad. One thing, don't crush the snot out of a crimp. Just enough to get a grip, then solder. I also like the plain crimp connectors. Easier to solder and apply shrink tube.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech

I am 75% complete with my AAW Update install, and I can tell you that I wish I'd have gotten better crimpers. The cheapies work well with terminals found at Home Depot, but don't seem to work very well with the OE style terminals AAW uses. I found my self having to crimp a little, then shift the terminal in the jaws to get a good complete crimp.

If I had not been soldering too, I would be worried about my crimps.

AAW has some great folks to talk to. You can get Ray or Don on the phone to give advice, but given that they list good crimpers on their site, I can bet what the answer will be. I should have bought one of these...

http://www.americanautowire.com/prod..._the_trade.cfm

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Combine the 2 posts above and u have your answer

If u use the general philosphy
If u buy the correct gear and do it yourself, u end up with a well stocked workshop, a professional job and still save money...
U may not use the crimpers again for a couple yrs, but when the next time comes up...u know it is right.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

This is what I use. They can be used on insulated and non-insulated terminals and they're inexpensive. Home Depot sells them. Not sure about Lowes.
http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...e7fd083e15456c

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I agree with Steptoe

Do some looking around. There are crimpers available, like those from AAW, with interchangeble jaws. Want to make your own spark plug wires with professional crimps? Can do. Proper crimps without soldering? Yep. They are worth every penny.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

One more thing. The last thing to look at when it comes to tools is 'price'.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
IMHO no...well maybe. I use a set of ratcheting crimpers. They crimp tighter and neater than the cheap crimpers. The downside is they cost $50 to $80.

The cheep crimpers will work if you put some muscle into them. Be sure to give em a tug before you put them in place to make sure the wire doesn't come out.

There are some short-jaw crimpers that look like a set of snub nodes pliers with long handles. Those work pretty well, but they may be for non-insulated terminals. They aren't too expensive either. I like using the non-insulated terminals. They are much more slender and when combined with a piece of heat shrink they look more professional IMHO.
The wire coming out is my chief problem with this. I've always bought the only crimper strippers available in normal parts stores which are about 19.99.

I want something that is going to make these connections as reliable as if I were going to fly this thing.

What tool do you recommend and where do I get one?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Oh sorry, I just saw the other posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

You can make good or bad connections with an inexpensive crimper. The trick is using the proper crimp (most are labled) for the connector you are using. Too much pressure, more than one crimp and using the wrong part of the tool, a bare or insulated crimp with the opposite type of connector is going to cause bad connections...

As some have said there are better tools that are more versatile and cost more but guess what? If you don't use them properly just like the inexpensive tools you'll get bad connections too...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
If you don't use them properly just like the inexpensive tools you'll get bad connections too...
I always solder and use shrink.
OH and the shrink works good on water hoses (full length) and the ends of SS braided

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode