Grounding Question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Grounding Question

I have just installed a power trunk latch in my 68 camaro and it does work, but it only works when the ground wire from the latch is grounded to the negative post on the battery. When i try grounding it to another ground on the car it doesnt work. The other spots that i tried are good grounds and i know because i have other things hooked up to those grounds and they work just fine, Any ideas why it only works at the negative battery post???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 06, 11:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Grounding Question

Oh man, that's a,,,what???? conundrum? That's illogical. Must be something simple. What and where did you try grounding to? I gotta believe that if other stuff works there, you are just not making good contact with bare metal. Too weird.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

My first thought is that the negative cable to fender ground is bad. But if you say that other stuff works, then it sounds like your latch ground is bad. I'm with Fred - too weird.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 07:28 AM
Retired
Jim

Have you tried using the star washers under the ground connection in the trunk area? I sense a bad connection to ground like the others. If the star washers wont bring it to life, Id make sure the fender lip ground next to the battery is also using star washers to grip the metal firmly. Do you have ground straps from the frame to the body below the heater box and from engine to firewall? Those help alot.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 08:32 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The further from the Batt's grd post the connection is, the more resistance drop there will be. You'll see the grd, other items may not be as sensitive to the resistance drop but it sounds like your trunk latch is. Most likely the work that the switch has to do (releasing the latch) is a lot requiring a more direct connection to grd.

You can see this resistance drop by using a higher scale on you multi meter. Zero it out then measure continuity at the grd post and the connection to the fender. Then check from the grd post to the grd point you want to use. the 1st will zero the meter, the second won't...

Just run a lead to the fender grd and don't worry about it.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

What a great web site. After my reply in #2 I thought of stuff to add. But when I came back here, others already had. This place is just like a race track. First one with the right answers wins.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Fred you are right about it being a great site. The idea is the guy with the problem wins though not the guy giving the answer...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 06, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

So true! But let me have my fantasies!

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 06, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Where did you get the power trunk latch? I haven't seen them before.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 06, 06:39 AM
Team Member

The latches I recall ground through the housing and mounting bolts. If yours has a seperate wire then do the above recommendarions, although it will not hurt to make sure at least one of the bolts has a good ground and not nice clean paint etc.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode