Recommend an aftermatket harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Recommend an aftermatket harness

With all the issues I have under my dash I my just spring for a new harness. I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones. Any certain brand better than the rest?

'69 350/700r4/ with factory in dash tach and console gauges.

The tranny has been converted for cable driven speedo.

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Recommend an aftermatket harness

American Autowire and M&H make high quality "restoration" harnesses, and both also offer a certain amount of "customization" to build in support for modern accessories.

These harnesses are expensive. They are complete, taped, with all new factory type connectors. They fit and they work.

Many here have tried cheaper solutions, universal "street rod" type harness from painless and other companies. They generally have a lot of difficulty with these. The ends of the wires are not cut to length, taped, or terminated. What good is a brand new harness if you have to splice in all your 40 year old connectors? Not only do you still have the old connectors, but now you have a hundred splices in your "new" harness to cause you problems in the future.

Note that it is entirely possible that Painless and others have come out with "custom fit musclecar harnesses without telling me my point is that a custom fit fully finished harness is a better choice even though it cost much more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

If you want a harness just like the original factory one I would recommend you buy a Factory Fit brand harness. They are made by American Autowire.

As Jim said they fit and work great from my experience. They also have the original type connectors and correct color wires so you can still use factory wiring diagrams.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Send a message via Yahoo to mazspeed

American Autowire is the way to go, plus their customer service is top notch.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'll third the motion for AAW. I rewired the car nose to tail with AAW. Their kits are complete and you cannot beat their customer service/support.
I had a problem with my aftermarket radio turning itself off momentarily after I turned on my RS headlights (electric). Their techs spent a lot of time with me on the phone...on their dime. They figured a "noisy" relay (which was not a part of their kit)...and they were right on the money! I replaced the relays and voila! I was in business.
If "originality" is the issue though, M&H may be your choice because their wires look more original...the AAW wires are labeled every six inches with the circuit name..."oil pressure"...etc...
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 07:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

IMO, AAW is the way to go.. As stated above there product and customer service is one of the best!!! Just finished installing there classic update kit and it was worth every penny.

Joe

69' Camaro X44 Base Coupe - 1\4 - 12.79
383 Stroker\700R4\Vigilante\12 Bolt Eaton Posi 3:55
QA1; Hotchkis; Vintage Air; IROC Steering Box
Owned and operated for over 20 years....................

04' CTS-V - Daily Driver -
-

LS6, Headers, Cam, Corsa exhaust, Electric cutouts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 08:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

HANDS DOWN! AAW/ Factory Fit is the way to go. Trust me.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Aaw.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 08:50 PM
Team Member
Christropher

In case no one's mentioned it yet; check out this company called American Autowire, or AAW for short. M&H also gets some kudos on this site too

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 06, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

BTW, GP Superstore has a 10% off AAW group purchase going.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 04:47 AM

American Autowire, I put in the main dash harness in yesterday, what a breeze. Installed it very quickly. Everything was a perfect fit.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 05:26 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

I have said this before, but it is worth repeating. We have used AAW harnesses (factory Fit) exclusivly for 15 years in all our restorations. Back in the day when we did nut and bolt national level original restorations, Factory Fit was always perfect and never lost points for correctness. They are correct because they are made from original GM blueprints and tooling. The others brands work, but these are the best. Now that we have switched our builds from mostly original restorations to pro Touring cars, the Classic Update is our most popular harness. And again, nothing else can compare.

At GPSuperStore.com, we only sell AAW / Factory Fit. There is a reason for that. And as our friend Bonzo mentioned, you can get the best price on Group purchase right now at the GP SuperStore.

http://gpsuperstore.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I used M&H harnesses front to rear in my '68 (with a few custom touches) and found the harnesses and M&H's customer service to be excellent in every way.

Unlike many here apparently , I've not had an opportunity to use both the M&H and the AAW harnesses, so I can't compare the two. It would seem that AAW is also a fine product and they are a site sponsor. I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for the response. AAW is the way to go. I downloaded and printed out their catalog last night. I see that AAW doesn't list a harness for my exact application. It seems that if you have an auto. trans you are NOT suppose to have an indash OE tach. Is that right? I also have OE console gauges.

A little confused....

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Fred,
'AAW' is a member of this site. Send a PM to 'AAW' with your question or give em a call. Theresa will have the answer for ya.
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode