Electrical wire relocation - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Electrical wire relocation

I'm going to wire in some gauge lighting and move the alternator wire to the other side of the car.

I've noticed there is a big harness of wires that I have no idea what they do. There isn't that many accessories up front. The horn relay, the alternator, headlights and parking lights is all I can think of.

Not sure what this bundle is for.
I'd like to reduce the wiring to only what I have on there. The car used to be a NHRA drag car so much of everything was stripped off for weight savings. I want to street/strip the car.

So:

Are those wires in the wire bundle that goes up the drivers side from the firewall forward in a loop? So if I remove some of them, is something going to stop working? I was planning on checking with a meter.

But what is the best way to do this?

I just want this to be organized and functional. So that I know what wires do what.
I can even color code. Any suggestions on that?
Gauge size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 11:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Electrical wire relocation

Darn Mike, you expect me to remember what year your car is?

There aren't any "looped wires" in the factory harness. They all go straight to and from. The only "really big wad" is the branch that goes toward the reg and horn relay off the lighting harness.

Some pics would help us figure out what yer talkin 'bout.
The color wiring diagrams in the basics sticky will help you figure out what should be there, as well as what colors to use when you fix it.

When I re-did my harness, I disconnected everything and stretched it out full length. Measuring from the bulkhead connector, I wrote down the location of every branch off the main harness and what wires left the harness there, then took the tape off. Once the tape was off, it was pretty easy to figure out what every wire did, where it should go, and if it needed fixing. Once that was done and any new wires I needed added, I used my measurements to retape the harness with factory type no stick black tape.

And you regulars, fill out your user CP, first name, city/state, and enough about your car in your signature so we'll always know the basics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 06, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I used my measurements to retape the harness with factory type no stick black tape.
Jim, Which tape did you use, from which supplier?......Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Sorry about that, it is a 67. I just updated the profile. It wouldn't let me upload a pic.

Anyway, if I'm not using a horn right now, do I even need a horn relay? I'm relocating the alternator to the passenger side.

What would be the best way to route the wire? Currently, only one wire goes to it. Not sure it that is the best way to have it but it seems to work. It charges the battery and starts when I want it to.

So, would it be best to extend the wire and route it across the front and hide it behind the grill somewhere or cut it back and go across the firewall and up forward along the passenger side then to the alternator?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech

The horn relay does more than just work the horn; it has a buss that feeds other things, including power to the dash harness. Here is a good thread with photos.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60844

I think your best bet is to look at what you have vs. the factory wiring diagram, and then move forward from there. Ron (Geezer) has them all on his website, http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/ if you don't have them.

The original wiring for the alt was across the front, with the wire to the external voltage regulator, the feed to the horn relay buss, and the idiot light.

Sounds like your harness may have been "modified" quite a bit.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

My 68's alternator had been relocated to the passenger side by the previous owner and he ran the wire along the firewall and over the engine up to the alternator. I never really liked the wires being routed on top of the engine up to the alternator. I had many other wiring issues with my wiring and decided to buy a wiring kit from Factory Fit. They made me the front wiring harness that converted to the internally regulated alternator on the passenger side and the engine harness for an HEI. My alternator is a two wire but I do know they have an option for the one wire alternator also. In there wiring harness the alternator is on the very end of the front harness that goes behind the grille and connects to the alternator on the passenger side. This set up looked cleaner and safer than a wire running from the firewall. The wiring kit was well worth the money and very easy to install following the diagrams in the Assembly manual. My original harness had wires going in one color from the firewall and coming out the other end a different color, wires leading to nowhere from where they deleted the external regulator, and many splices.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 01:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

With a one wire alternator on the passenger side, I would just wire it to the junction block on the rad support, in front of the battery, and be done. Use a fusible link or a HEAVY inline fuse!

The type of fuseholders they sell for high end aftermarket stereos, with a 60 amp or better fuse in it, would work well.

I got the no-stick tape from either Ricks or D & R...
It ain't easy to find in the online catalogs, but it is there.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode