HEI upgrade - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 06, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

HEI upgrade

What is involved in installing and HEI on my 69? Do I need a new alt? I know I need wires. Basically where do I start and any recomendations on the brand?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 06, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech

Re: HEI upgrade

You'll find lots of info by searching the archives. One issue you'll need to consider is the size of the distributor. Large body HEI distributors with the coil in the cap often will not fit on a 1st generation camaro without modifying the firewall. http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com is an example of a points distributor converted to HEI, but Dave can be difficult to reach. Pertronix is another points to HEI conversion. Both give you a small body distributor that will fit the 1st gen without modifications.

The other issue you'll need to address is getting a 12volt ignition feed up to the distributor. The 1st generation camaros used a resistance wire from the bulk-head connector on the firewall up to the distributor. You'll need to replace the resistance wire with a copper wire. This too has been covered in the archives pretty well.

Welcome to the club Gary.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 06, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

No u dont need to touch the alternator, just the wire from ign to coil and hook tach wire into the connector...
leave the old wire there till everything is set up...just in case u run into a prob (unlikely)
If u have chopped the resitance wire and need to go back to the old dizzy, put a ballist resister (its a ceramic heavy duty resistor block) with the new copper wire between the ign and dizzy...

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 06, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I would suggest an MSD dist. #8360

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 02:33 PM

Steptoe; you may have answered my question too. Im trying to wire ny HEI in my Mercedes with 350 Chevy. I cant find a switched hot wire off the fuse panel so I ran a hot wire to my n ew ignition switch then out to a ceramic ballist resister then to the HEI. Will that work;the resister gets hot but the wire going to the HEI is just warm. help
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Do NOT use any ballast with an HEI. 12 guage wire only.

If a distributor hasn't been bought yet, I'll second Fred's suggestion of an MSD8360.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 08:45 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Musky..
Jim is onto it again

Another note on ballast non ballast
Some Points also run non ballest, this is determined by the coil type, it usually has stamped on the bottom 6v or 12v...a 12v coil has no ballest resistor, and these are usually "hi output " coils

Watch for this when dropping and engine with pionts in a boat , u have the right coil....otherwise u get a few miles offshore and the engine dies, after a while the coil cools down and u get a few more miles.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 10:01 AM
Tech Team

I have a 67 coupe, I put GM 69 big block frame mounts and a full size HEI fits with room to spare. I didn't have to do anything to the firewall. I have a DUI and am very pleased with it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 11:18 AM

So your saying I can use the hot wire straight from the battery or starter,then go to my ignition switch then go to HEI. I cant find a hot switched wire on my fuse panel . It just seems like the wire is too hot, I know if it came from the fuse box it wouldnt be that hot .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

The current wire to the ign is not a resistance wire, no need to touch that.
Run a new wire from the ign to coil only

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 12:34 PM

What I did was put a new ignition switch in, ran a hot wire directly from battery to that ignition switch then a heavy wire coming from the switch to the HEI. My problem is that the hot wire to the HEI seems hot to touch.Does this way of wiring suppose to work like I have it? Why is the wire so hot? Is there a way to cut the voltage or is it just suppose to be that hot. I know your suppose to find a hot wire on the fuse panel that gets fire when you turn the ign. switch on but I cant find one. So what Im saying is the way I have it wired ok( wire from battery or starter) ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Russell

Send a message via AIM to capt68 Send a message via Yahoo to capt68

I'm in the process of wiring my '67 for an HEI now. You should have 2 large Red wires, 1 Pink, 1 Purple and 1 Brown wire. These are according to GM color code; or so I've been told. See if this helps:

1) Red (I used 10 Gauge) to the starter positive battery cable with fusible link. (Should be marked "BAT" on the back of the ignition switch.)
2) Purple Starter solenoid energize circuit. (Should be marked "SOL" on the back of the switch)
3) Pink Battery terminal of HEI distributor
4) Red (either red) Battery terminal of alternator (threaded terminal) from the battery
5) Brown Alternator energize terminal (from the ignition switch)

Hope this helps.

Russell

Last edited by capt68; Dec 26th, 06 at 06:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode