starting problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

starting problems

having some starting problems with my 68 camaro. Have replaced the battery, battery cables, and starter but still getting a very slow turn over. Voltage on battery is 12.9, but drops down in the 10v range while cranking. I have traced wiring, but so far have not found any bad connections. Seems to be worse on a warm engine vs. cold engine. i am not running headers, and heat shield still in place on starter. When I replaced starter with a rebuilt one, seemed to help for a few starts, but now right back to square one. Even when I put a booster box on with the battery still get a slow turn over. I am thinking I have a bad starter, but just wanted to get some opinions before I pull if off. Thanks and merry Christmas to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: starting problems

I think you may have gotten a bad starter. I buy the NAPA rebuilts, and my first one came bad right out of the box. Second lasted up until a month before warranty ran out.

What I remember was the dang starter was so hot after cranking, and real slow to turn over.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 05:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm thinking you need to check your timing. Sounds like you got WAY too much advance dailed in. Before you just twist the distributor back, take the cap off and make sure both the vacaum and mechanical advance move smoothly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

timing is on the button.....but thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentrx1 View Post
timing is on the button.....but thanks
hmmmm, gonna be difficult, huh?

Humor me... Mark where the distrubutor is now, loosen the clamp, push the vac can toward the firewall 1 inch, tighten the clamp and crank it over. If I'm wrong, you can just put it back to your mark and call me an idiot.

(note: I am not wrong.)

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I will follow your advice and check it out. It was rebuilt about a year ago and I checked it about a month ago just for the heck of it. Was 8 degree with vac advance plugged and around 26 degree max advance as I recall. I changed nothing nor loosened anything as it was running fine with no spark knock. Thus my comment of being right on. Perhaps it has loosened or something thou----I will try your suggestion later this week once I get past all the Christmas running. Thanks for your input!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
george

When the condition exists,you could try grounding the coil wire.If the engine cranks normally,ignition advance is most likely the cause.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

please explain your response further.....not sure how to do what you suggested.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 06, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Seems to be worse on a warm engine vs. cold engine
Check out Jim above 1st...
U mention rebuilt starter...
When starters are Normally rebuilt, thearmitures are turned down and solder jionts checked for resistance...cold...
Starters can generate a lot of heat, over time the solder joints on the armiture break down causing 'dry joints'. They test ok cold, but warm/hot they are not connecting well....

The issue of installing heat sheilds for a starter that has a problem is 'after the event'....the heat shield just helps to prevent a starter that already has bad solder joints for getting hot enough for hard starting....
IF u think about it, to get enough heat off heaDders what ever, thru the starter case, across the air in the starter moter then into the armiture to cause the solder joints to sofen and have dry joints is impossible.
These dry joints are caused from long term usage....
A starter moter, draws a heap of current/energy, the intail current draw for a split second is up around the 900 ams, then say the car is slow to start, the continous high (normal) current drawn, cause things to get hot...
Over many yrs the solder joints break down.

I had this problem many yrs ago, fortunatly I have a brother inlaw in hi end Automotive/indusrial/marine electrics.
We replaced bearings /bushes etc but still did it
He set up hoist tools, started the car, drove it quite a ways, hit the hoist droped the started , dismantled and checked the joints, many where bad, when it cooled they, except 2 where ok.
He heated the armiture in a oven, again they showed bad.
He resoldered with a hi temp solder, turned the armiture down...
15 yrs on I have never had a problem again.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 06, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech

I would go with the starter first. mine did the same thing about 6 months after I bought it . I even changed the timing gears and chain. It would hardly turn over at all when hot. turned out it was the starter all along. when the starter gets hot, bushing inside expand and lets the armature bind up
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The battery cables should be, at least, 1 AWG. Most cheap shelf cables are 4 AWG.

The higher the number AWG (American Wire Gauge), the smaller the wire diameter, the less current handling capability.

Ten volts during cranking is getting to the minimum, 9.5 volts is min.

Try JimM's suggestion first, reduce initial timing and crank. If better, then too much timing is the problem.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

changing timing had no effect...but changing the starter did! all is cranking great now. thanks for the help
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 06, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Any bets as to how long this starter will last?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

no bets.....but lots of hope. so far it is spinning the motor great.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

I dont buy rebuilt starters anymore and I think that has gotten to be the case with alot of the autozoneo'reillyadvancednapa guys because they all have new and rebuilt starters availiable for most stuff, at least that has been my experience lately.I own a construction company with 5 trucks on the road daily and we go through starters more than your average bear. We have had much better use out of the new stuff vs. rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode