ohm sweet ohm / 69Maro fuel sending unit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

ohm sweet ohm / 69Maro fuel sending unit

I am trying to read the ohms on a brand new fuel sending unit for my 69 camaro (350). The problem is I only get 54 ohms at "full tank" on it. (And 0 ohms at empty tank)
I thought that the factory sending units were supposed to be 90 ohm at full and 0 at empty???

I am checking this with a digital ohm meter connected to the lug on the top of the unit and to the body of the unit.

This is the second time I have seen this and am wondering if it's just another bad (brand new)unit???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 03:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: ohm sweet ohm / 69Maro fuel sending unit

Yes, 90 ohms is correct. You should ground the unit then try again to see what it shows for ohms.

Kev
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 03:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you do have the circuit disconnected, right? You pulled the connector in the trunk or at the sender?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Jim,
I read it as he has the unit in hand and not in the tank. That is why I said to be sure and ground the unit. Could be wrong..

Kev
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 06, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

Guys,

I am checking this brand new, never installed unit, as I hold it in my hand not in the car.

The deal is that this is the second new one to read exactly 54ohms at full tank. The first one I sent back because I thought it was faulty.
I should be reading 90ohms right?
Has anyone else thought to check the ohms on a new sender before installing it??
Only other option, I am thinking, I need to try another fluke meter for a second opinion.

Thanks for the input and I wish I could have posted sooner!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 06, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

chrisp1,

You are checking the resistance correctly. By connecting one of the voltmeter leads to the body, you are effectively "grounding" it. Sounds like a bad one to me too.

Larry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

This seems crazy but....

I tested the sending unit with a different digital multimeter (Fluke) and still 54 ohms.

Then tested it with an analog meter (Sperry)and now 90 ohms

ChrisP
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 08:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I wonder if you have a calibration problem with the Fluke. You could go to Radio Shack and get a few resistors to check the meters. Right now, you have a 50-50 chance of the sender being bad.

Can you temporarily connect the sender to the gauge, power up the system, and see how the gauge reacts? I think that would be the ultimate way to test it.

Larry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 06, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
I wonder if you have a calibration problem with the Fluke. You could go to Radio Shack and get a few resistors to check the meters. Right now, you have a 50-50 chance of the sender being bad.

Can you temporarily connect the sender to the gauge, power up the system, and see how the gauge reacts? I think that would be the ultimate way to test it.

Larry
Larry,
I will connect to the gauge as a sure fire way of knowing if the sender is bad before I install it in the tank, but I just think its kinda strange that two digital Flukes are reading the exact same(54ohms), and an analog meter reading perfect 90ohms.

Good idea on checking with a resistor, I'll try that. But, the digital meters should not need calibration as one is new and the other is just a few months old. I'll check anyway.

ChrisP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode