Alternator wire - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Alternator wire

I'm getting ready to relocate my alt to the passenger side. As was suggested on this site, I am just going to go across the front, with the headlight wires from the horn relay.

But what size wire is recommended? It appears to be 12 guage wire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 04:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: Alternator wire

I would go with 10 gauge and a fusable link in there aswell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

No need to go all the way across the front of the car, there should be a junction block on the rad support, hidden by the battery, attach it there.
Ditto on the fusible link!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
No need to go all the way across the front of the car, there should be a junction block on the rad support, hidden by the battery, attach it there.
Ditto on the fusible link!
Its not there. I guess I could re-install a junction box block there.......
Would an aftermarket one work?

I go to Kragen, schucks, autozone and none of them have 10 guage wire.
Where to get it? Hardware store?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Radio Shack has 10 gauge

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 02:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hardware store, menards or home depot even, just make sure it's stranded not solid.

If the junction block isn't there, how does the lil pigtail wire from the battery cable get over to the horn relay?

Anothe option would be to drop the wire down and connect it where the battery cable connects on the starter. I kinda like that one, it would be completely out of sight.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech

get a nice big cable - about as big as your starter cable- and go directly from the back of the alt to the positive terminal on the battery. just skip all the crappy resistance inducing junction blocks altogether and simplify things.
if you run a black cable, and hide it carefully, no one will know it isn't supposed to be there.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Berry

Quote:
I'm getting ready to relocate my alt to the passenger side. As was suggested on this site
Why is this suggested? What is the advantages/ disadvantages?

Its cheaper to be poor!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
get a nice big cable - about as big as your starter cable- and go directly from the back of the alt to the positive terminal on the battery. just skip all the crappy resistance inducing junction blocks altogether and simplify things.
if you run a black cable, and hide it carefully, no one will know it isn't supposed to be there.
Well my battery is in the trunk. And this car was used as a race car at one time and much of the original wiring was stripped out along with junction boxes. These dudes went to town about weight. There is hardly nothing left in there. I'm surprised they were fine with the weight of the paint.

But for some reason, they left the horn relay. They got the horn but left the relay. So I just went straight across and ran the wire, a stranded 10 guage wire, along the headlight wires that move across the front. I used grommets when going through walls.

I'd love to go right to the battery but that would be a long run and I'm a little worried about going to the starter because there is a LOT of heat around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode