mini starter wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

mini starter wiring

Ok guys..here is my issue..i installed a allstar mini high torque stater on my 69 camaro. AT first i was a lil confused on three wires to 2, but figured that issue out..the one that came from the original "s" terminal goes to the new selninoid connection. Here is where i am confused, when i test light the original "s" and "R" terminals i am getting constant voltage from the "R"-bigger wire and no voltage from the "s" terminal. I recently have installed a msd 6-a box and msd 85551 billet dist. When i check my accel super coil i am not showing voltage here either. Although, i did run a live wire directly from the alternator to selinoid and the car started right up. Does anyone have any tips?

Wiring is not my specialty!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: mini starter wiring

Like holy cow! Guess spamming the forums is your specialty tho?
Multiple posts is not required or desired here. One thread per question will suffice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, now that the ball is rolling on the house cleaning...

The original wiring used a large purple wire to the "S" terminal, which is closest to the engine on the starter. This is the wire that makes the starter engage and start the car, and it is the wire you should attach to the new mini-starter.

The original wiring also had a yellow wire which attached to the outer terminal on the starter and ran to the positive terminal on the coil. You no longer need this wire, and should remove it or disconnect both ends and tape it up.

If the engine doesn't crank when you turn the key, there is a problem somewhere on that big purple wire. Note that the ignition system (distributor, coil, msd box) has NOTHING to do with "will the starter turn the engine over?"

A likely problem with the purple wire is the neutral safety switch. The linkage that operates it is often disconnected when headers are put on a 69. You might even try grabbing the base of the steering column, just out of the dash, and turning it counter clockwise, the turn the key and see if she cranks.

Once you have her cranking over, does she start and run? This question involves the ignition wiring, the wire from the firewall conector to the pos side of the coil, and from there to the msd box, plus some other wiring that should have been added/changed when the electronic ignition and msd box were added.

One zillion dollar question I really need the answer to to help properly is:
Did the old starter crank the car when you turned the key?
Did the car run before you rpelaced the ignition system?
ok, that's 2 questions.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 06, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

yes she did run when we run a hot lead from the alternator to the stater after install of new starter and with the old starter. The only thing that i can think is when we took the old starter out there might have been a disconnect somewhere when the strter dropped down durin takeout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode