67 RS Headlight Doors Inop - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

67 RS Headlight Doors Inop

I recently installed a RS Headlight Wiring Kit and the headlight doors will not open. They do not make any sound as if they are attempting to open. I checked the wiring and contacted Painless to confirm I had everything connected properly. I did notice that the old relay bracket has 3 relays and another smaller part mounted to it. This part was wired to one of the relays. I think it is the circuit breaker. Anyhow, the painless instructions did not mention including this part into the new wiring kit. I know my headlights worked fine before and I can't see how both motors would have burnt out. Please advise.

P.S. Sorry I am unfamiliar with the technical names for these parts. I am fairly new at working on cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: 67 RS Headlight Doors Inop

You are correct, that is a little circuit breaker next to the relays and it is required for the RS system to work as it feeds power to the whole system straight from the horn relay. You should have a red wire from the horn relay going to the circuit breaker and a orange wire from the circuit breaker to the relay #1. Check out my 67 RS help page here:
http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html
Feel free to call (before 9 PM EST) if you need further help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Since my chassis wiring kit and headlight wiring kit did not come with replacement wiring for any of these parts, I guess I am going to have to do some creative electrical work. Painless huh? Just so I am sure I understand your wiring diagram, I need to run a power wire from my positive battery terminal to the horn relay and splice the circuit breaker into my new relay #1? Sounds good. Thanks again for the quick response. -maya

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 07, 08:16 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Mark and his company are great. If you ever need to replace those motors and/or relays, give him a call. btw, next time ya need something for the Camaro, do a search here or ask, we would have told you 2 other companies that sell wiring harnesses that are 50x better than the one you got and would have been plug and play for your application. American Autowire is one, M&H is the other. Painless is anything but.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks Chris.

There should be a main feed from the junction behind the battery to the horn relay. If so, just add the red wire from the horn relay to the RS circuit breaker ands see what happens.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 07, 11:11 PM
David Pozzi

The only thing I've had to replace on my 67 RS was the circuit breaker. I think after time the points inside get corroded or worn.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode