buss bar - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

buss bar

I would like to wire in some gauge lights. My plan was to bring 12 volts to a single point and split off from there with individual wires to individual guages.
So I bought what I thought was a buss bar (is that what you call it?). I wanted something that I could connect 12 volt 14 or 12 gauge wire to, that would then 'distribute' the voltage to other places that I connect there.

What do you all recommend for this? And what should I ask for at the auto parts store?
I don't really want to do this with wire nuts and electrical tape.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: buss bar

Mike, the easiest way to do this is to daisy chain the terminals from one guage to the next. Just put 2 wires in each terminal before you crimp and solder it, except the last one of course.

It should look kinda like a string of christmas lights!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Mike, the easiest way to do this is to daisy chain the terminals from one guage to the next. Just put 2 wires in each terminal before you crimp and solder it, except the last one of course.

It should look kinda like a string of christmas lights!
I have two wires coming out of each gauge. I can't tell which wire is for hot and which one for ground.

But the wires from the gauges disappear up inside them and I can't really use terminals. This is why I wanted to bring them to a terminal block and distribute 12V to each that way, rather than using wire nuts.

Its the part that I'm looking for. There has to be come aftermarket product for this.
Do you know what that might be?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 07, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

What kind of gauges (make/model) are they ?. If you have two wires coming out of each gauge and you can't tell which one is for hot and which for ground you need to find this out unless they are for the lighting portion of the gauge. Guessing at wiring could cause damage !. If they are the lighting wires for the gauge and it's a regular style filament style bulb then polarity will not matter however if it is an LED type lighting setup then polarity will be a factor.
Most lighted gauges will have a sending unit connection, an ignition power connection, a lighting connection and possibly one or two grounds, or they could be self grounding to where the housings need to be grounded for them to work.
Get the gauge make/model info first or pictures of what you have.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 07, 11:40 PM

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 09:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

I did alot of my AutoMeter gauge work like this. They now have a wire harness for them. Look for terminal block if this is what your talking about. You can add jumper tags across the terminals to tie them together like on the bottom right.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

Damn that's a clean job. Nice

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax87 View Post
I did alot of my AutoMeter gauge work like this. They now have a wire harness for them. Look for terminal block if this is what your talking about. You can add jumper tags across the terminals to tie them together like on the bottom right.

Where would I get those jumper tags?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by king67rsss View Post
Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/cn-1.shtml
I like that. I could use that too....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 07, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Radio Shack sells the tags but not that beefy of a block. My buddy works for the city and parts out the electical boxes. If you decide to go this way, let me know, I may have one left.
Actually, I take that back. Those terminal blocks I did get at Radio Shack. The one I have in the engine compartments were from the city.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode