Electrical woes 95 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to BellzToll Send a message via Yahoo to BellzToll
Electrical woes 95 Camaro

Ok, I know we are first gen guys first and foremost, but there is bound to be some folks out there that have dealt with a 4th gen, and i need some help or direction.
Here's what I got. Since the 69 is out of commission for a long while, I decided that I wanted another camaro in my life as a daily driver. Bought a 95 V-6 5 speed last week. It had a bad wiper control switch in it, so after I found it and replaced it, that is working fine. High beams work now, and everything seems good. Nothing abnormal.
Fast forward to when I am going for a drive at night. Go to start the car, nuthin. Dead. Put my battery charger on it, set it to "start" and hit the key. Heard a pop and saw a spark from under the hood, but the car started fine. But now, when i turn the headlights on, the lights work, but the dash lights dont.Car still runs, gages still work, idiot lights still work, but the Instrument panel backlights are not coming on. All fuses have been checked, and although i did replace the IP dimmer fuse, the lights will still not come on. I have torn the dash apart and can find nothing wrong.
Like I said, I know this is a 1st gen forum and I respect that, but I havent found a 4th gen forum that has the expertise that you guys do. Now, If I want to know about some Altezza tail lights or how to wire in speakers, I have no problems. I am stumped on what to look for. Anyone out there dealt with a 4th gen or at least know where I can look for Answers

Thanks all,

Dave
69 Camaro "The Other Woman"
95 Camaro"Purple Patience Eater"
02 Silverado Diesel "Big Haas"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 07:36 PM
Team Member

Re: Electrical woes 95 Camaro

Just some thoughts.
possibly the dimmer switch. Is there power at the dimmer fuse? If not then check the dimmer switch rheostat.
the circuit goes: headlight switch to dimmer switch to fuse to instrument cluster (6 lights in parallel) to ground.

You most likely will need to use a voltmeter to track down an open in the circuit somewhere.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I was thinking the same thing, I will check that tommorrow. I just hate to tear back into the dash, already cracked it once. BUt it was brittle at heck anyways and I can always find another one.
Thanks for the thoughts, someone was telling me the pcm, but that doesn't make a lick of sense, and I am not randomly replacing that thing.

Dave

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

It was the rheostat by the way; Got one from the junkyard and all is well right now. So at least I have a Camaro to drive while I look at the '69 and stow away the $$ to work on it.

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool!!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Everett, I never noticed that you live near me. Or maybe I did and I forgot. I am just up the road on 64 on the *****ula. Used to go to the cruise in at Jenroe's alot at Haygood. Small world.

Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Jenroe's is ricey now. Handelson's Ice [email protected] Mill is the place now.

There's another member on your side, GMParts1(?) from Hampton Chev.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

yeah even when I was going there with a few buddies it was getting that way; Bass Pro used to do something Sat nites, not sure if they still do. Hampton Chev is only a few miles away. In fact, was over there with that problem. I will check out Handelson's; think you could hook me up with directions.
Wont have the '69 with me, I'll be in a purple 95 or a silver '02 Diesel pickup. When is the nite at Handelson's?

Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I-64 East to I-264 East to First Colonial Rd South, follow instructions for NAS Oceana.
First Colonial turns automatically into Oceana Blvd., follow it to General Booth Blvd South (right turn).
Gen. Booth Blvd, about 2 miles, to left on Nimmo Parkway, at third light, right onto Upton Drive. Upton Drive to right on Elson Green.

Handel's Ice Cream is on the right corner. Turn into parking lot entrance. Gathering is on the left parking lot.

Check today's Daily Break in the Pilot for more events, Hampton Chev, I think, does their's on Tuesday night.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode