Issue: Autometer Sending Unit not mating to Lokar Speedometer Cable - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 07, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Issue: Autometer Sending Unit not mating to Lokar Speedometer Cable

Hi Guys ...

I have a following Autometer Speedometer: ATM-3988 http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2D3988&FROM=MG

Autometer recommended the ATM-5291 Sending Unit for this Speedometer ... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If you click on the suggested parts to work with the sending unit, Summit recommends this Lokar Speedometer cable ... LOK-SP-1500U ... http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=LOK-SP-1500U

Now, here's my problem ... the end of the cable that connects to the sending unit is a female type fitting and so is the end of the sending unit that connects to the cable ...

Here's a pic that I took to show what I'm referring to ... (it's a little blury, but you'll get the idea) http://home.earthlink.net/~timandste...endingunit.jpg

Is this common ... do I just get an adapter?

Thanks,
TIM

'95 383 CAMARO Z28 - C.A.M. BUILT/TUNED
405 RWHP/428 RWTQ (SAE DynoJet)
'99 CORVETTE
'68 CAMARO - 383+D1SC, Orion Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 07, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Issue: Autometer Sending Unit not mating to Lokar Speedometer Cable

Tim,,,
maybe I'm missing something, but..... isn't the Autometer Speedo and sensor both electronic units? The Lokar cable appears to be for a mechanical speedometer. I wouldn't think you'd have anything hooked to that sensor on the tranny other than wiring up to the speedo. I believe that sender has a connection for a pass-through for cruise control if used, but other than that should just have wiring to it. Looks like mechanical cable for an electronic speedo unless I'm missing something.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

You shouldn't need a cable with that speedo if it's electronic. I've got the same sending unit on another Autometer electronic speedometer. All you need to hook up to the sending unit is three wires: 12V positive, ground, and an output wire to go from the sending unit to the speedo.

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the help guys ... I'm still new to several of these electronic doohickeys ... It would have helped me if Summit didn't recommend this cable in conjunction with the sending unit/speedo ...

Oh well ... thanks a bunch guys for straightening me out!

I've got another question ... How does this sending unit determine my speed, if I'm only connecting power, ground, and the sending unit to the speedometer ... I need something to connect my tranny to this autometer sender, right ... anyone got a part number ... It's a 200-4R tranny ...

Also, I have the American Autowire Classic update wiring kit as well as the American Autowire Covan Classic Gauge connection kit ... seen here: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

'99 CORVETTE

Last edited by Tim_in_NC; Jan 12th, 07 at 05:04 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok, this is making sense now ...

I just plug the sending unit directly into the transmission where the cable would have connected ... then go from there ...

I'll be sending back the Lokar ...

thanks again,
TIM

'99 CORVETTE
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

yep, that's all you need to do. Once that is done, there is a calibration procedure to follow with the speedo. The speedo counts the pulses from the sensor over a specific distance, and then calculates speed... all the procedure should be in the instructions. Not much to it.

Blown 69 RS Camaro

383 Small Block
Dyno: 578 Horse - 595 LB/Torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode