headlights on - gas gauge = empty - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

headlights on - gas gauge = empty

When I turn my head lights on my gas gauge goes to empty (regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank). Also, my dash lights as so dim they are nearly non existent.

Any ideas?

Oh, I bought the car this way. I have yet to troubleshoot it. I thought I might discover someone here who has had a similar problem. Everything in the car is stock, except for an aftermarket radio.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: headlights on - gas gauge = empty

Go thru and check all your Earths (grounds) Bad earths (rather than no earths)can cause weid things to happen because of the resistance across the bad connection

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 07:52 PM
Retired
Jim

JimM has 2 excellent stickies at the top of this section with reading about finding the issues with the old cars. Usually grounds are the issue but read thru those posts up above, I bet you find your problem and answer.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 08:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

make sure the top center screw in the dash cluster is there, that is the ground for the dash lights and fuel guage. If that doesn't help, you might reach up there and see iif you can attach a short peice of wire with a ring terminal to one of the quarter inch screws that hold the back of the instrument cluster together, then ground the other end of the wire.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 08:45 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
make sure the top center screw in the dash cluster is there, that is the ground for the dash lights and fuel guage. If that doesn't help, you might reach up there and see iif you can attach a short peice of wire with a ring terminal to one of the quarter inch screws that hold the back of the instrument cluster together, then ground the other end of the wire.

this will fix your problem 100%. Good luck.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 07, 09:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

definately a bad ground.....good luck. My interiors didnt even work. had a bad connection at the fuse, so while I was at it, I just took a wire brush to all the grounds.
Headlights are pulling the juice away from your gas tank guage because its smaller resistance across the headlights than it is across the resistor in the tank. JM.02

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 07, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Thanks guys, I will give it a try and post back my findings!

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Is this screw you are mentioning visible from the outside, or is it inside. What I am trying to say is, if I am sitting in the driver's seat can I see it?

Thanks!

Strick
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You might not see it, but you can feel it. It is on the outside, just above the high beam indicator

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 07, 12:59 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

You should be able to see the screw. It's at the top of the gauge cluster in the center, above the steering column between the two big gauges (speedo and tach or gas).
The ground strap is behind the dash and will require you to loosen the column if you need to remove the gauge cluster.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Well, I am now completely rebuilding the suspension and putting in the new motor (if it will cool off 106 yesterday, 108 today). I found that the battery was grounded to the block, the firewall was grounded to the (sub)frame, but the ground wire from the motor to the firewall had broken and was not attached. Do you think this is my problem?

I tried the R&R of the dash screw (no rust) and that did not help.

Strick

Last edited by Strick; Jul 6th, 07 at 07:35 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 07, 09:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

oof. Im not sure that would have that specific problem Strick. Keep going and let us know as you go what you find...
AE2

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 07, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

I wanted to throw out thanks and kudos to Harley, Steve and my man JimM (and all others). The advice they gave about the bad ground on the dash cluster was 100% correct. I had to replace my ignition switch tonight, so I finally go around to properly grounding the dash. I took out one of the cluster 1/4 drive screws (on the back of the fuel gauge) and grounded it to the lower framework of the dash. Viola' my fuel gauge remains constant with lights on or off. Before when I turned the lights on the fuel gauge would drop to empty or below, the turn signal (dash) lights (both) would stay on dimly, and the dash lights would not work. All of that is in the past!

Thanks again!

Strick

Last edited by Strick; Sep 19th, 07 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode