Rusty Fuse Holders - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 07, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Rusty Fuse Holders

I'm working on my fiance's 66 Buick convertible-here's the deal.The car had a windshield leak (go figure-a 40 year old convertible that leaks!) and the fusebox was getting wet to the point where nothing was working anymore.I fixed the leak but now I'm scratching my head trying to remove the rust from the fusebox.I was able to get the box off the firewall but am reluctant to pull the fuse holders out because I've been causing minor damage to the box.What I've been doing is swabbing Naval Jelly into the fuse holders with a cotton swab and rinsing it with a spray bottle.This is only marginally working.I would much rather use some sort of abrasive that I could rotate in the fuse holder to clean the rust off.Has anyone else had this problem or can offer some suggestions to get this cleaned up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 07, 07:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Rusty Fuse Holders

how 'bout looping a peice of 220 around a puse and poping it in and out?
If you push/pull on the ends you might even get it to spin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 07, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech

Personally, I would use (and have used) a good quality steel wool to clean the holders. I just wrap some around a thin screw driver, and clean them up that way. Then use compressed air to blow them out, and make sure you don't have stray steel wool fibers all over the box. If you need to, use electrical contact cleaner (spray can with tube) to further clean them, but be careful because it could remove the lettering (if the naval jelly hasn't already).

Take some pictures or draw a diagram, in case you do end up wiping some of the lettering off during cleaning.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 07, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

My Camaro had the same issue when I bought it. I used my dremel and a couple different wire wheels on it, and a little sandpaper by hand. Once I had each one of them good and clean, I used a little Q tip with some stuff we use at work (I'm an Electrician) on electrical terminations called "Kopr-shield" made by Thomas & Betts, all it is is a conductive anti corrosive paste like antisieze with copper in it. I carefully dabbed it on each termination, put in new fuses and never looked back. I actually used the Kopr-shield on all my terminations that were getting crusty. You can get it at most any electrical supply house by the way.
Don't use anything like navel jelly, it just creates a film on the already not-to-conductive rust, and you further lose conductivity. Just clean the heck out of them to rust free metal, and if you can find a conductive coating use a bit of that, and you should not have further issues. Good luck with it!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 07, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Bill Miller

Garage

I have found that a small piece of a scotch brite pad works great for cleaning electrical contacts and termials.

1969 RS convertible 327 1981 Z28 original unrestored
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 07, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
now I'm scratching my head trying to remove the rust from the fusebox.I was able to get the box off the firewall but am reluctant to pull the fuse holders out because I've been causing minor damage to the box

If you look ver close u will see a very little slot...dowqn inside is a little lug attached to the fuse holder...pulling back on the holder this lug expands.
If u slide a very small screw driver of welding wire down, it closes the luyg and the fuse holder falls out

When replacing bend the lug just tight enough for it to slide in with slight friction, there is enough spring in uit to flick back in place again.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.I finished this project today.I wound up pulling all the fuse holders out of the box,one at a time.I knew about the little clips holding them in but some of them were a real bear to get out.Some of those suckers have 6 of the little clips on them and I only have two hands!
I put them in the naval jelly for a while and rinsed/blew them off,then rolled pieces of sandpaper for the holder part.
I found the Kopr-shield at an electric supply place but they wanted $55 for a 1/2 pint! I left it there.
I put all new fuses in and everything works! It's a wonderful thing and Paula is thrilled to have her ragtop back for summer cruising.I have to tell you,this was a miserable job.I like restoring old cars but you never think about stupid stuff like this taking up your time and energy when you feel you could be working on "real" restoration stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode