Mounting Battery Cutoff switches in First Gen. with trunk battery? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Mounting Battery Cutoff switches in First Gen. with trunk battery?

I need to install a switch and I want it to be inconspicious except when at the track. I am trying to find a good location that won't do much if any damage to the sheetmetal. I thought about putting it behind the license plate but the fuel tank is right there and I don't like that idea much because of the hazard. Wherever it goes I will probably have a large magnetic switch label for track use.

What about these latching relay systems, are they legal for competition in there is a rear switch? I wouldn't mind having an interior cutoff as well.

Also what gauge wire is needed for the alternator cutoff on the switch? I assume this goes on the field coil wire?

My battery is in the common location of right behind the right rear wheel. I am currently wiring the car so I at least want to have things where they need to be for the future add on if I don't do it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 03:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Mounting Battery Cutoff switches in First Gen. with trunk battery?

Unfortunately, the switch must be obvious, it must be a positive disconnect (no relays) and it must not only kill power to the car, it must stop the engine fron running.

I saw something somewhere, magazine maybe? They took the switch right out thru the tail light lens on a 68, and just swapped to an onmolested tail light when not at the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Interesting, I never thought of putting it in the tail light.

I will be running mostly under SCCA Rules so here is what they say at least for this class which seems to have the only mention of it:

9.3.33. MASTER SWITCH
All cars, except Showroom Stock and Touring shall be equipped with a master switch easily accessible from outside the car. Spec Racer Fords shall be wired per RFSRII. The master switch shall be installed directly in either battery cable and shall cut all electrical circuits but not an on-board fire system. All terminals of the master switch shall be insulated to prevent shorting out. It shall be clearly marked by the international marking of a spark in a blue triangle and mounted in a standard location. Off position shall be clearly indicated at the master switch location. The standard locations shall be as follows:
A. Formula and Sports Racing Cars - In proximity to the right-hand member of the roll bar, but in a location so that it cannot be operated accidentally. It can be mounted on a bracket welded to the inside of the upright member or mounted so that the operating lever or knob is outside of the body panel immediately in-board of the upright member. This is the standard location on Formula cars built to the Constructor’s Association requirements for Formula 1.
B. Closed Sports Racing Cars, Production Cars, Improved Touring and GT Cars - In front of the windshield on either the cowl or on top of the fender, but close enough to the windshield to be accessible if the car is overturned. Alternatively, it may be mounted below the center of the rear window or on a bracket welded, clamped or bolted to the roll cage or dash, easily accessible through the open window. (Drilling of holes in roll cage to attach the bracket is prohibited.)
C. Open Production, GT, and Improved Touring Cars - May exercise a choice among the above locations

I find it interesting that it mentions either cable. I have seen much confusion about this here.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 07, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ahhh, that's different then. I was thinking NHRA. They want one on the back of the car if you have a trunk mounted battery.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 07, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

I put mine on a piece of piano hinge and bolted it under the rear bumper.
at the track I locked the hinge open where it was readily available. on the street I closed the hinge so it couldn't be seen. ps I used the holes already in the bumper
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins 68 View Post
I put mine on a piece of piano hinge and bolted it under the rear bumper.
at the track I locked the hinge open where it was readily available. on the street I closed the hinge so it couldn't be seen. ps I used the holes already in the bumper
I know this is an old post but any chance you could post a pic of this?

Thanks

Todd
1968 Camaro
612ci Merlin tall deck, Turbo 400 w/Hughes internals, Hughes 5300 stall converter, 9"rear w/spool, 3.50 gear, Dart intake, Bullet solid roller cam. Dart Pro1 aluminum heads, Holley 1150 Dominator Carb.
Best ET 9.95 @136 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode