tail lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

tail lights

Hi,
I've recently purchased my first muscle car: 67Camaro RS Conv.
I'm having some electrical problems, but first I need to know the basics.
Are the park, brake, and blinker all on the outside individual light? I only have one bulb for each outside lens, and no bulbs for the inside lens. I hope that makes sense. Any help??
Thanks,
Enrique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech

Re: tail lights

Enrique -

I did a search because I'm not 100% certain, but I couldn't confirm so I'll just tell you what I think and someone will correct me if I am wrong.

On a base car, with a red lens on the outside and a clear/white on the inside, the outer is as you described, using an 1157 bulb. The inner was reverse lamps, using an 1156 bulb.

On an RS car, with a red lens all the way across and reverse lamps below the bumper, I believe both sockets on the taillight itself were the 1157 sockets, so both sides would light up for all three functions.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Eric is correct. Is there a second set of sockets in there? Do they have one wire or two going into them? Are the backup lights below the bumper?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
There is NOT a 2nd set of sockets. There is an opening in the lens, but not socket or wires or anything. The backup lights are below the bumper. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Enrique
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech

E -

My guess would be that it isn't an original RS car, and when they needed the wires to hook up the backups under the bumper, they just chopped and tossed the socket. That's the only reason I can think. It's easy enough to get a replacement tailight socket (three wire if you want stop/turn and parking, two wire if you only want parking) and splice it in. That's what I did on my 68 when I hooked the RS backups in. It might overtax the old existing wiring, but it didn't on mine.

The best way to do it correctly would be to get a 67 RS convertible rear body and lighting harness like the FactoryFit that American Autowire sells. It's just over $100 and it would get rid of any broken wires or splices in what you have. It could be a bit of a snowball project, because it runs from under the dash all the way back, so you have to remove the driver side kickpanel, door sill plates, wire gutter covers, top and bottom of the rear seat, and the rear arm rest panel on the driver side. But, you'd get it taken care of and not have to worry about splicing and shorts, etc. You'll probably spend $25 on parts and 3 hours or so to splice some sockets in, vs. $100 and 8 hours or so to do it "right."

Eric
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Hi Eric,
That was quite informative. Thank you very much for the info. I'll probably buy the rear harness and do it "right".
Thank you so much,
Enrique
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 04:42 AM

Thanks Eric, you basicly described what Camaro Model I have. That is it is base model. My tail light lences are Red, White, they are separate sockets. Thanks for being informative.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 04:44 AM

I have a question for you Eric. If you have old electrical wiring going to your tail lights. Would you replace them?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech

Jon -

It depends on the condition of the wiring, and your plans for the car.

As noted, the rear body harness is relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. Same goes for the front light and engine harnesses. An engine harness change is almost a must in my mind when going from an L6 to V8, and/or if you want a clean way to convert to an internally regulated alternator or HEI distirbutor.

The main dash harness is more expensive, and a lot more of a project as far as disassembly goes.

The quality of the reproduction harnesses such as those made by AAW is very good. Some like the peace of mind of new wiring in an almost 40 year old car. I did.

Eric
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 06:05 PM

What does AAW stand for, like the web site where I can look at them?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

http://www.americanautowire.com/

The OE style plug and go harnesses are under their Factory Fit line, and are sold by most of the major Camaro parts houses. You can call and ask them any questions you might have, but when it comes time to buy you can go wherever the best price is. AAW makes money either way, and their customer support is top-notch.

Theresa from AAW is a regular here.

Eric
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 07:00 AM
AAW

Hi.
Not sure if you needed to ask a few questions... but I wanted to let you know I'm "here" if you have any.

Ray Walder
Sales, American Autowire

Shop our online store @

Tech Questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode