69 taillights, Opinion Question? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

69 taillights, Opinion Question?

Okay, chalk up one more thing I never knew about the 69s until now.

As I have been installing the AAW Update kit, I have been using my beat up factory harness as a template for taping, routing, etc. I am on the last little bit, the taillight harness, and I noticed that the OE harness for standard, non-RS put taillights only on the inner (toward center) part of the light housing, with the taillight/stop light/turn signal only on the outer side.

Now the AAW kit gives dual lead sockets for both inner and outer positions, and I think I will wire it that way. I figure more brake and turn lights are better than less. I guess my questions are kind of rhetorical, but...

Anybody have any clue why would GM wire them that way in the first place? On the 67 and 68 I've had, it's pretty obvious. But with two sockets on the housing for 69 plus the reverse socket, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Has anyone made both positions cover all the functions (tail, stop, turn) and wish they didn't because they think it looks goofy? I'm pretty sure I will think it's okay (how often do I follow myself, anyway??), but I was just curious what other folks think.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Send a message via AIM to Hardway Send a message via Yahoo to Hardway
Re: 69 taillights, Opinion Question?

I dont know if I can tell you why they were wired the way they were from GM but I think it has to do with style and GM may have modeled the rear tail light harness after another vehicle to cut down on costs, maybe a chevelle or nova since they had single brake lights as well on each side. Your idea is a good one but not new. For example, the '66 Impala has 3 lights per side, the whole thing flashes and the whole thing lights up when brakes are applied. Plus, I have seen several '69 Camaros with the ligths wired up so both sections light when turn signals or brakes are applied. With the wiring and sockets you have I would run with the dual brake light setup. Since so many other cars on the road have large and/or multi lamp brake lights, a little more for our cars can't hurt. If you are going for a correct resto then you would want to modify it for just single brake lights. Just my .02 cents

Jeff
Current Vehicles: 1969 Camaro Z28 Clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 IROC Tech page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hardway; Jan 31st, 07 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 10:51 AM
AAW

Hi there Eric!

GM did what they did for cost cutting reasons more than likely. It sounds crazy, but 2 extra circuits would have required heavier gauge (16 vs 18) as they did on the RS cars. The tail light circuits were actually a different gauge wire on the RS cars for just that reason. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you save $3.50 over a 100,000 cars, you just saved the company over a quarter of a million dollars and justified your salary (and a bonus as well) for that model year alone!

Federal mandate only required that there be a turn signal back there.... not how many. Having 2 back there would definitely be better and obviously make the car much more visible at night.

Ray Walder
Sales, American Autowire

Shop our online store @

Tech Questions?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 01:28 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Due to all the idiots on cellphones, eating their lunch, fiddling with their GPS, doing everything except paying attention to driving, I rewired the 69 a while ago to have brake light and turn signals in all four sections. Also changed to Brite Lite bulbs from Ron Francis wiring. Only other change I needed to make was to go to a heavy duty flasher, the one near the ash tray not the one on the fuse panel. Auto Zone etc has these for like $7. Better to be seen than be sorry! Jim
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
Dean

Interesting, mine has always flashed all four lights for brakes and signals. I've had it 10 years now, and for a non stock car I think it makes all the sense in the world.

Dean

'69 355-3.73 Moser-Truetrac-TKO-600-Hotchkis-DSE-QA1 coilovers-Baer brakes-17"Budnik's-Speedtech control arms
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys (and T) for the input. What T said makes perfect sense. I knew it would take slightly more expensive sockets, but didn't know the wiring needed to change.

I am finally done wiring (not through any fault of the AAW kit, just because my life is busy and because I am such an anal, engineer guy). Now it'll only take me 3 months to fill it with coolant, put ignition wires on, and fire it up.

Thanks!

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Both of the rear wiring harness' I got from AAW were correct with just the outer lights for dual filament. Maybe they ran out of standard and gave you the RS harness. Like you said, makes more since for all to light up.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 05:33 PM

How about a saftey reason? driving at night if all light up for turning , your light s go out for a sec. No running light isnt safe. If your brake/turn bulb blows you take the chance of blowing both leaving no running light. Not that anyone is going to be that close except for another camaro. you should leave one as a running light and just use the other for brake/turn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 07, 10:13 AM
Apprentice
Martin

Here in Denmark all the "ordinary" european cars all have amber/orange turning lights, and therefor people aren't always aware of the car in front is braking, if it has brake/turn signal in same red bulb

That's why i am going to wire my taillights so that brake light will apply to both bulbs (in each side) and turning signal will only be in the outer bulbs, as original. That way, people will be able to see that the car is actually braking AND turning

Still just a learner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode