Scammers are hitting the newspaper classifieds part 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 07, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Scammers are hitting the newspaper classifieds part 2

Everyone be on the look out for the usual car ad that is to good to be true. This past weekend some scumbag listed a 69' Camaro excellent condition, blah, blah, etc. for $4,000 here in the Las Vegas newspaper. It had a out of state Louisiana phone #, that didn't work and this email address ([email protected])
Here's a look at the news ad: CAMARO '69 V8 Excellent Condition 95,977 mi. clear title, Ext: Orange, Int: Black, 2dr, auto, 985-247-4796 $4000 [email protected]
I got a reply to the email today, with a picture of the $4,000 car. These idiots must only have one picture of a 69' Camaro for their scams, because I've seen these orange 69' about 8 times in the past 6 months "for sale" cheap??
Here is the response to my original email. Please moderators, to put this in the correct area, if this is incorrect, and to show me were else to report this scammer.
I'm glad that you're interested in my car. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4000.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Baytown TX and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,
Karen Davis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you find the hidden words? Take a break and play Seekadoo! Play now!

I'll try to post the picture that was sent in this email. It is a orange 69' w/ black hockey stripes and dog dish COPO caps. Thanks Team Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 07, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: Scammers are hitting the newspaper classifieds part 2

If anyone can help, I would like to post a picture of this car that is a jpg file. How do I get it in the message body? Thanks, Jeff
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Dayton

Here's the car Jeff is alluding to,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dayton68Z28; May 13th, 10 at 10:24 AM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton68Z28 View Post
Here's the car Jeff is alluding to,
these people r also running another scam using a 1970 challenger
#yiv2140932499 .hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px;}#yiv2140932499 .hmmessage{FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}I'm glad that you're interested in my car. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4000.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Baytown TX and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,
Karen Davis

second email
Even I'm not good about cars, I'll try to describe the car the best way I can. It has no scratches, no damages, no hidden defects. It is in imaculate condition and has never been involved in any accident.The mileage is accurate.The engine runs good, the paint looks new ( as you can see from the pictures ), garage kept.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
Miles: 35678
Trans:Manual (4-speed)
Engine:440 six-pack
Title: Clear
VIN Number: JS23VOB182646
Condition: Used
Exterior: Black

I must remind you that if we are going to have a transaction I will need your complete name and address to initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance, please provide me with your purchase & shipping details (name and address "shipping address aswell if different from your address"). After I receive your details I will initiate a new transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and they will contact you with the complete details of this transaction.
Thank you!

ive made numerous attempts to stop individual dont know what else to do any info would help

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I just check today's newspaper and found that they are running the same ad for the Dodge Challanger also. i am going to call the local paper and speak to a supervisor to see if they can do something about this? Jeff
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

That orange 69 has been used (well, the pictures at least) in a few ebay scams before.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 08, 12:05 PM

Angry Re: Scammers are hitting the newspaper classifieds part 2

Heres one from Craigslist, Washington.DC.

Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my car. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4850.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Clackamas , OR and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,
Victoria Regeps ([email protected])

"1968 SS V8, 4speed"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 08, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Yeah, we've gotten hit here in our area with the same email responses. The cars are either a camaro, corvette or porsche. It make you wonder how many people have fallen for this...

1999 Lingenfelter H.O.S.S.
1969 Rally Grenn SS Camaro project (sold)

RIP John Lingenfelter
(Oct. 6, 1945 - Dec. 25, 2003)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 08, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

Same thing happening in Canada. We've a selling service, "Kijiji", same thing as your "Craig" site, and I responded to an ad for a Subaru... seemed quite a bit on the low side. Anyway, after repeated attempts on my part to contact the seller... I got that, "Send $ first, and, Oh yes, the car isn't in your part of the country.. it's on the west coast".

RIGHT! I reported them to this site, and they were going cancel any further ads from this email address... but they'll just set up another. It's epidemic these scams!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:56 PM

This is an email that i have also received they managed to get a add in the Kenosha News paper GOOD GOD I'm glad i did my research befor moving forward.

Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my Chevelle. The car is street legal and accurate. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registred into your name at any time. I am willing to sell it for $4850.This buy now price does include the shipping and insurance fees. I'm located in Lincoln City, OR and the car is here as well and so this is where the car will be shipped from. I've done some research and the best and fastest way I can ship it is using Hemisphere cargo Shipping Ltd which takes between 4 to 6 days to arrive at your door (door to door handling and shipping insurance fee included). I am affiliated with Yahoo! Finance where I have a purchase protection account for $ 10,000.00. This service allows us to complete this transaction in a manner that is quick and safe for both of us. It acts as a third party between seller and buyer to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements and provides dispute resolution and mediation between parties. Yahoo! Finance is responsible to insure that both parties comply to transaction requirements. If this is ok with you please reply with your complete name, address and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction case at Yahoo! Finance and move forward with this deal.
Thank you,
Olivia Collins
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 10:00 PM

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Marcus/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the picture of the chevelle that they were trying to sell me
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 02:55 AM
Banned

Hi,

They should not be allowed to enter the room. bang

Rah
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 03:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Bunch of losers!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant stand a con artist!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 02:49 PM

Same exact scenario with a 67 Charger here advertised in the Buffalo News. This one has the same terminology and everything. Bunch of jerks out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode