who takes bank checks for cars?! - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

who takes bank checks for cars?!

this saturday was wasted on a guy who told me he was in the NAVY and wanted to buy my car. so i showed him the car and such , then he said "ill take it". so cleaned my stuff out and started getting the paperwork ready....when we sit down at my table he pulls out a slim envolope. i said "your not writing a check are you?"
he told me yes and i let him know i wont take anything other than cash....i dont know this guy and screw his feelings. i had to give the guy a crash course on the people ive delt with and who i know and my life before i was a family man. he tried to get me to take it , but that is out of the question, i wouldnt even look at it. he told me he was going to Georgia monday and would not be back for a couple weeks, i told him to come back with cash....to top it off he did not have money to take the bus to get to the train station to get back to base!!! i had to donate a couple bucks.......now im not gonna post his real name in case he was for real but beware of anyone wanting to pay with a federal drawn bank check FROM THE NAVY with no name on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: who takes bank checks for cars?!

Navy Federal Credit Union checks are as good as any Cashier's check/money order. Your bank will honor NFCU check.

I've never had a problem with their checks.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

HMMMM...Did he have a Military-DoD I.D. on him? Who authorized the check? If it was NFCU then it would have been good. I would have just called the issuing bank and confirmed the check and decided from there...
Depends on how bad you wanna let the car go. It was your decision, dont back down from it. If youve been burnt, dont get burnt again...
If he wasnt Navy, he can be thrown in jail for impersonation.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

although i did not ask him for i.d., he never botherd to try to show it to me. the person who dropped him off had naval base stickers on her car....but you never know...i trust but only so far....also was on a Saturday afternoon at 4:30 and no banks open in my area.....he was also willing to take the car without a pink , since it is in the mail...... i told him to wait but he insited on doing the transaction Saturady afternoon. he sais he'd be back in a couple weeks, so if he still wants it then that's fine. i hate to admit but one of my good freinds was into white collar crime and fraud so i learned a lot from him......one main thing was doing business on Saturday when banks are closed or accounts have not been updated or transactions have not posted so it seems as though there is still money in the account.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Adam

Sounds like he had a loan from NFCU, they essentially issue you an open cahiers check for up to the maximum amount they are willing to loan you. You then fill out the check for the agreed purchase price and give it to the seller. You never can be too careful, but in this case I think the guy was just planning on driving home in the car he bought and didn't plan for the chance that the seller might not actually give him the car lol.

Those kind of loan checks are great for haggling over a car by the way because you can barter as if you were paying cash. I bought a K5 Blazer once and haggled the guy way down from asking price, the look on his face was priceless when he saw the check that I was authorized to pay well above his asking price

67 RS/SS "YELR67"
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 01:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

I've had a Navy Fed account for the last 13 years. My wife hates it that I still have that account because there are no local banks around and obviously no Navy Fed ATM's. I don't care! I've bought the past 3 vehicles through them and my retirement goes straight in there every month, never had a problem.

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

man guys now im starting to feel a tiny bit remorseful.........i just didnt know him and i have a lot invested in my car that i can not lose....my family and i would be in a bad place if i lost that money to a con. any how i took it off the market and told him to call me when he gets back and cash is available. but how can you verify a check like that i live in Wilmington Ca near long beach and San Pedro......both cities have many Naval roots. any info would be helpful.....
ps, once i was selling a 75 Camaro and a guy kept wanting me to meet him halfway which was about 100 miles or so. well he came to my house on a holiday and wanted to give me a check....insisting i take it, i told him to wire me money from his account and he said it was too much hassle. well i told him he was not taking the car. i just dont trust anyone, its a shame but it reflects the sort of times we live in.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 02:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Don't worry about it... you have to protect yourself. He should understand that.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESURECT67 View Post
i just dont trust anyone, its a shame but it reflects the sort of times we live in.
You only did what you felt you had to do to protect your interest, nothing wrong with this decision.

I read it as you didn't have any experience with a NFCU check, so it seems. On his side, he should understand your position also. As said, you're giving it a two week cool down period between the both of you. Gives both of you time to think. He wants the car, he'll come with cash, or he'll come with a letter of the issuing bank/credit union officer with phone number for you to call or your bank to call to verify the funds.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 07, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

there are scumbags in the military too you know. I wouldn't sweat it to hard.

Had a friend take a regular personal check on his motorcycle from a guy out of state a while back. I thought he was crazy but it worked out fine. However, you can never be to careful IMO.

TCI Engineering equiped pro touring 1968 Camaro
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 03:40 AM
Senior Tech
Lenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESURECT67 View Post
this saturday was wasted on a guy who told me he was in the NAVY and wanted to buy my car. so i showed him the car and such , then he said "ill take it". so cleaned my stuff out and started getting the paperwork ready....when we sit down at my table he pulls out a slim envolope. i said "your not writing a check are you?"
he told me yes and i let him know i wont take anything other than cash....i dont know this guy and screw his feelings. i had to give the guy a crash course on the people ive delt with and who i know and my life before i was a family man. he tried to get me to take it , but that is out of the question, i wouldnt even look at it. he told me he was going to Georgia monday and would not be back for a couple weeks, i told him to come back with cash....to top it off he did not have money to take the bus to get to the train station to get back to base!!! i had to donate a couple bucks.......now im not gonna post his real name in case he was for real but beware of anyone wanting to pay with a federal drawn bank check FROM THE NAVY with no name on it.
I would have asked for a NAVY ID or something- it probably was legit. BUT - dsaying that- I wont take a bank check for ANY payment unless it is a local bank. Ill drive there personally WITH the customer to cash it and then deposit into my account.
Even better- Ill tell the customer that if they want to use a bank check it needs to be on my bank and (again) I go with them to deposit the check.
Most of the time I havent had anyone use them-
Final payments in my shop are usually cash unless I have OK'd a personal check or if they use the Credit card.

Lenny Schaeffer

Woburn MA
Watch for our shop at many cars shows this year!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

i feel the same way about going down personally to the bank to cash a check or verify funds. i have known people to print fake bank checks or money orders of all sorts. fraud is rampid here in Los Angeles and sometimes ID 's dont mean a damn thing. but i was cool with him and bought him a soda while i drank a beer and gave him a ride to the bus stop....so if he's for real he'll be back.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 09:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

That was a couple of dollars well spent (bus fare)! You made the right call. If he is for real, he'll be back with the cash. Charlie 69 RS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Berry

Quote:
If he wasnt Navy, he can be thrown in jail for impersonation.
Or he could have been dressed up for halloween early as one of the Village People LOL!

Its cheaper to be poor!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

In God We Trust.....ALL others pay cash.

You made the right call.

If he wants it he'll be back.

Uncle Tupelo's Free Advice
Always remember, you only get ONE midlife crisis....use it wisely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode