Do A Search - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brad

Do A Search

Iím realively new to the website and donít want to stir up any trouble but Iím seeing a lot of responses to members question of ďSearch the formusĒ or ďDo a searchĒ. Then a response post says ďI did but couldnít find anything.Ē

Maybe Iím wrong but wouldnt it be more help full if you would give a link to specific post that you think answers the question. Just my 2 cents.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

1968 Camaro RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 11:03 AM
Al
Administrator
Al McKenzie

Re: Do A Search

It's always nice when someone tries to point to a topic or gives a quick answer and then suggests a search for more detail. It's not very beneficial to post a reply saying "do a search" and can make a new visitor feel out of place.

Some guys are busy and have might have seen the question too many times, but if it's worth the effort to type a reply, I'm sure it would be appreciated if they add some info - or just pass it by.

If someone has been here quite awhile and asks an question that has most likely been answered then, yes, I guess a search would have been in order first.
A few dudes might be lazy and want others to do the footwork, some are not comfy with using the search and others are new and full of questions.

I think most understand your feelings Brad and we'll try and work towards that.

Thanks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Do A Search

You mean answer that question like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
The original gasket is discontinued.

There is some info in this recent thread that may help - https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=spindle+seal

ps: not that you can't ask any question, but - always try a search for the keyword of the info you need first, I'd bet it's in here somewhere

I do usually try to give an example, or a link to, a 'searched' thread for the person asking just to give them some idea of how good some of the previous posts are and show that they will probably answer most of their question - but, not always ...
I sometimes just don't have time to do the search myself and then post the result(s) - so I may not even bother answering the question ...

The admins put this 'note' in the Header for the "New Post" link - "Please try a search before posting, thousands of questions have already been answered."
It would help many times ( like with posts for "how do I install Disc. Brakes on my Camaro" ) if the poster would just read this info and 'try' a quick search - and then come back with a request for clarification if he still needs information, rather than just ask 'spoon feed me this'*- this little bit of work on the part of the poster would go a long way to getting them some great help and maybe even a few PM's to get them sorted out
( * = in this 'web' age, lots of folks use an approach to finding information that many of us "ol folks", that used to have to hunt for info, find a little pushy - it may not be intended that way, but it sure comes across that way at times.)

As always, the above is JMHO's and anyone can take it or leave it.
Or do a search for other things I'm way off base on

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 11:19 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hi Brad I can't speak for everyone but have seen what you have observed and there are many circumstances leading to someone asking a question being told to do a search. I personally try to provide some usable info or at least a link along with any "try the search" replies I give.

I do see many times someone asks the exact same question that has been asked 5 times in 5 threads earlier in the week. That's when I see others posting "use the search". Other times the answers are also found in threads stuck at the top of the forum and people still ask. There are even questions being asked that can be found using a google search which indicates the person asking really just wants others to do the research for them... I bring that up because I think it's really the root to why folks reply with "Search the forums". Most here don't mind helping, it's what the site is all about but often there is no sense of appreciation for the site or the guys providing the answers. I'm not saying nobody shows appreciation but there are many that make it obvious they didn't look for their answers before asking questions and once they have what they want they don't reply back.

With so many users it's hard to say what their posting experience has been over the past days or weeks to cause them to toss out the "try the search feature" but I bet it follows the lines of what I have mentioned...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brad

I agree, doing a search first is a must. I guess Iíve not been on the site along enough to see the lazy poster (wet behind the ears). I just find myself reading/looking at post that end in the above which have no value to the 39,521 readers. And donít get me wrong, I love the site.

Speaking of lazy, I need to get back to work.

1968 Camaro RS

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Im one who says "do a search..."
I have been here a long time...and many times repeat the same answer time after time
And also often see the same subject and just pass over the thread
It all depends how busy I am at the time...
Generaly im here,when waiting for a machine to format, load, or a server to backup and stuff..filling in abit of dead work time.

So when I do say "do a search"
I add an approximate time frame.. last week, a current thread, 2 yrs ago.
I also add a couple critical words that will be in the thread...
I tell them where the search button is

As far as doing the search myslf to find the thread,
1/ dont have the time
2/Not doing any favours for the person, they eventually have to get used to using basic forum functions and their own research..
3/ I have between 6 and 7 pages of new threads when hit the button on the forum home page for posts since last visit... new posts on the tool bar above.

I do mot mind when ppl are obviously not familar with forum functions (2/ above)
But I do mind when ppl are just too damn lazy to get off there butt and do basic stuff for themselves...
After 15 yrs in forums net, As site admin/moderator one gets a good feel as to who is who... Even on my own forums

Run a search for " run a search"

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode