Do It Yourself "DIY" Section added to Camaros.net forum? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb Do It Yourself "DIY" Section added to Camaros.net forum?

What do you guys thing about adding a section for the do-it-yourselfers where the whole section of the forum is devoted to just that? Doing various mechanical work on your Camaro and sharing it with others how you did it all in one section of the site.

An area where guys can post how they changed their suspension arms, or installed their headliner, or converted their drum brakes to disk... and so on.

A way to post how you did it with photos and a write up or even a video so to help us all learn more about our cars and working on them. Can help everyone save a bunch of money by being able to do some jobs themselves on their car without having to pay a shop or a friend to do it. (Sorry in case I missed a section like this if it is already on the site but I don't think I've seen one yet).

I know we already have a lot of this going on now with sharing information to do these things, but by adding a DIY section itself it will put them all in that one spot for easy reference.

Just a suggestion that might help out a lot of people and organize the infor into one place. Maybe we could even add sometime of scale of difficulty level of the project so each person can decide if they want to tackle the project.

I've seen some other type of car forums do this and it has been a great success with many pages of great information for the Do-It-Yourselfer.

So what do you guys think is this possible, not possible, a good idea???

'68 Camaro SS. Pro-Touring Recreation. 396 BB. 12 Bolt Posi Rear. "Resto in Progress."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for "CamaroNation Nights," ALL Camaro night cruise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 05:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Do It Yourself "DIY" Section added to Camaros.net forum?

I think thats a great idea and there are so many threads with great links that should be a sticky... I'm sure its alot of work to track down some old threads and start a new category like "DIY"...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 05:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Hi Joe - Al takes all suggestions into concideration so thanks for this one. I'm just thinking out loud here, I do like the idea of projects and DIY being grouped together but a DIY forum kinda defeats having the various forums we already have. An engine project fits in the Engine or Performance forum and installing a new headliner project fits in the Interior forum etc.

I love it when guys show off their handy work but those DIY threads always turn into tech sessions as others ask "how'd ya do that" or "I have this problem" questions along with giving props. Only my thinking here but I like our personal blogs that each member here gets and the "Showroom" for showing off handy work. It just seems more logical and there is more personal control over each of those areas than in a forum. Posting in a blog isn't that much different than posting a thread but getting folks to step out of the forum environment to try them is a whole nother topic...

Maybe if everyone tags their DIY and project posts with "DIY" or "project" it would make finding them with the search easier... That's my .02,

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Maybe if everyone tags their DIY and project posts with "DIY" or "project" it would make finding them with the search easier... That's my .02,
X2 I figured the answer to this would be blogs... But post tagged with DIY would be cool.

Jeff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

No problem thanks for responding Dennis. I understand what you mean and I'm glad you posted this information because I didn't really think of it that way of having the various topics for that reason. I appreciate your input.

Since you mentioned having each forum where they relate to what you are doing for the project like headliners in interior section, would it work to have a DIY sub forum in each topic kind of like a sticky or something?
For example Interior Forum, then at the top of that forum, "Interior DIY", or Suspension "DIY" and so on for all the other topics...
Maybe that is in fact too much work and not worth doing. Not sure exactly I'm sure you know more about it then I do since you have been on the site much longer then I have.

I'm just thinking out loud myself and trying to offer some ideas that may be helpful or maybe you guys have already thought of and solved...

Come to think of it, I agree by tagging the threads with "DIY" or "project" that would make it much easier to spot out and find during a search.

To be honest, I haven't seen the personal blogs section and showroom which each member gets. How does that work, each person basically posts photos and details of what they are doing to their car or are you referring to the forums themselves as the blog?

That sounds like a great idea to have I'll go look at that right now.

'68 Camaro SS. Pro-Touring Recreation. 396 BB. 12 Bolt Posi Rear. "Resto in Progress."

Check out
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 06:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I could get behind the sub forum for DIY and Projects, it keeps the current organization in place. Each forum moderator would also be moderator for the DIY under his forum.

Here's a blog example; https://www.camaros.net/forums/blog.php?b=153

And here's a members "showroom" with 4 albums in it; https://www.camaros.net/showroom/show...=13464&cat=500

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 09, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I could get behind the sub forum for DIY and Projects, it keeps the current organization in place. Each forum moderator would also be moderator for the DIY under his forum.

Here's a blog example; https://www.camaros.net/forums/blog.php?b=153

And here's a members "showroom" with 4 albums in it; https://www.camaros.net/showroom/show...=13464&cat=500

Sounds good Dennis. I think that will work well since it will keep the current organization in place still. It will also allow people to see the DIY in that specific forum topic.

Also thanks for the links. That is very cool having your own blog section and showroom I never saw it before. Oh and by the way Dennis, Sweeeet ride man! Thats one nice Camaro you have buddy I like it!

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode