Why is the site so slow? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Why is the site so slow?

Is it me? The site takes forever to load pages. I tried it on multiple machines different locations and it takes a long time to load. Other sites load just fine just my favorite TC.... Its painfull...

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Why is the site so slow?

for me the front page loads slow, the rest are quick tho??.ive wondered too!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 01:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

it's super slow for me too - especially when i have to sign in. could it be something with the ads?

Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 04:39 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I'm running a program that blocks ads and the sites I frequent are mega fast compared to when the ads were displaying...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 07:06 PM
Guess

Definitely the ads.
I have no problems with the forum pages loading quite fast, but the Classifieds section crawls like molasses because of the banners.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 07:13 PM
Team Member
Christropher

I thought lifetime members didn't see ads? I don't see any and the site seems pretty fast to me.

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 07:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

There are still some google ads that everyone sees Christropher and the supporting vendor links on the right side are also setup just like banner ads...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 08:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Try Google Chrome..seems to run faster ..but quirky when posting or opening the tab when coming back to the site from another tab..refresh seems to be required.

Graphics are a bit different..Why is it faster anyway?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Graphics make it slow. Try Weather.com to see what slow is. It is full of graphics. Also if you have cable and others on your street have cable it gets slow for all sites.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Glad its just not me...its pretty dissapointing though cause this is my favorite site...all of a sudden within the last month or so??

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Yes, recently the homepage is slower than it's ever been since I've been here.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Im always logged....Dont have a problem use IE 7 and 8
I see no change in speed at all, and Im hitting the server with 200 plus latency
Mind you I have a 17meg download speed
I use open new tab a lot.

Checked from not logged in...yep big difference.
page size is 140k....general 'good pracice' recomends 1/2 this ..around 40 to 60k
Add to that the number of hits at anyone given time (and most hits would be from same or similar time zones) that would be quite a load on BW and server.

Most of the sponser logos are good size u...BUT page size is 120k....general 'good pracice recomends 1/2 this ..around 40 to 60k
nder 10k But some are much larger
Airaid 27k flowmaster 64k magnaflow 54k old air 73k
These should be reduced down, maybe look at reducing colour #s and layers.

I have just quickly taken a page sceen shot, the croped as example oldair (73k Truecolour) reduced colours to 256 saved as jpg at 23%compression now 16k and still looks the same...reducing can be done far more effectice than print page /crop using the orginal file.
Directly Reducing logos and pics sizes would make significant difference.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 09, 09:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Today I noticed a Cadillac/Buick/Chrysler ad with a moving car (a script?) in addition to the banner ad above it that appears to take a long time to load.

So...The Don what up..is this the new reality?

Are you seeking feedback? Is page re-sizing an option?

Is there a number of new subscriptions that would displace the ads and satisfy your revenue model?

What are your plans?

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 09, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

I hope this isn't the start of the bastardization of a beloved website. Hey Steptoe, pass all the observation you made to "The Don" and see if they can use it.
I have seen a slow down too in the past couple weeks. Glad to hear it's not just me. Firefox seems to help once past the initial page load.

Last edited by Moonpie; Dec 17th, 09 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Addendum
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 09, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

The HOSTS File is a DNS IP Address Mapper that Over-Rides the DNS Client Caching Service. It can be used to BLOCK Parasite Crap like Intellitxt, doubleclick, Vibrantmedia ...etc to 1.2.7.0.0.1 and firmly Designate an IP Address of a DNS Server. You wil never see another Ad ;o)

Check this Site Out: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I make a HOSTS File Editor by linking a ShortCut of NotePad to the HOSTS File in Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS. RTClk the ShortCut Properties and in the Target Enter " D:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe D:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" or C if your OS is on C: and open the Advance Button and Clk to Run as an Administrator.

You can create HOSTS.EXE Self-Extractor with WinZIP and Over-Write the HOSTS file anytime and its effective Immediately.

That Site gives you an easy BAT - Over-Write and BackUps your existing HOSTS file.

I've been doing this since 95 and believe it's the easiest and MOST Effective Ad-Blocker there is. - It really gets me when Gimic SoftWare Ad's - LOL - Try to get you to install their Ad-Block Bowser Plugins that are Virtually usless and time consuming.

Very Simple DNS IP Mapping - shish ;o)

By the way if you want to find DNS IP Address use this site http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php

For instance if you want TC Site to load FAST like your Camaro type:

67.228.42.2 (2 spaces) then www.camaros.net into your HOSTS File

If you want to BLOCK Intellitxt Type:

127.0.0.1 www.Intellitxt.com

Do that then click on the Intellitxt.com link - LOL

You can DISABLE the Entry simply by placing a # in front

That MVPS Site does have an Excellent Up to Date HOSTS file - It's not that big that you can't run your DNS Client Service However I would recommend that you FLUSH the DNS Cashe by Typing " "ipconfig /flushdns" in CMD.

If you're not on a NetWork you can experiment and DISABLE DNS Client in Services, if you get excess Time to live Hops just Set it back to AUTOMATIC.

I know - I'm a GEEK

PS: If you are truly want to learn about PC HardWare and Software load a mIRC Client and drop into either Freenode ##Windows or DalNET #Windows95. Believe me there are members there who won't admit they are MSCRTS because the GEEKS have it all over them.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Dec 17th, 09 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode