Why all the flash? - Team Camaro Tech
Camaros.net Site Help Discussion Website questions, comments, suggestions and tech help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Thumbs down Why all the flash?

I do website testing and one thing that can ruin a site and cause it's members no end of aggrevation, frustration and computer freezes and crashes is an over use of flash.

I am seeing this here on Team Camaro.

Is this due to the new owners?
Is it so important to have a flash ad that it's worth making it's members suffer?

I do not spend much time here but it will be less if the flash crashes continue to wreak havoc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 08:08 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Re: Why all the flash?

I don't see but one Ad on the forum, and it's just a rotating ad for the sponsors.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Send a message via AIM to fugetaboti

This site has new owners? Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work?

68 RS 4spd 427BBC Project

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
I don't see but one Ad on the forum, and it's just a rotating ad for the sponsors.
Well goodie, have you ever looked over at the right side of the screen, or under site vendors?
Not all of it is flash, but believe me flash can cause a heap of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugetaboti View Post
This site has new owners? Forgive my ignorance, but how does that work?
You take a seller and a buyer and put them together.
If they agree on a price the the seller takes money and the buyer takes a product, in this case a website.
I think I learned this in third grade maybe younger.

Here is a link to your new owners, I thought Al would have told you...my bad... http://www.autoforums.com/
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 09:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yup, new owners, last summer actually

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 09:46 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy65 View Post
Well goodie, have you ever looked over at the right side of the screen, or under site vendors?
Not all of it is flash, but believe me flash can cause a heap of crap.

You take a seller and a buyer and put them together.
If they agree on a price the the seller takes money and the buyer takes a product, in this case a website.
I think I learned this in third grade maybe younger.

Here is a link to your new owners, I thought Al would have told you...my bad... http://www.autoforums.com/
1) There's nothing on the right side of the screen.

2) Do you have to be rude answering his honest question?

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33 View Post
1) There's nothing on the right side of the screen.

2) Do you have to be rude answering his honest question?
I was not being rude and sorry if you thought so.

If there is nothing on the right side of your screen then you do not see what I do.
Log out and check the page, I think it will appear at that time.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 10, 09:59 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevguy65 View Post
I was not being rude and sorry if you thought so.

If there is nothing on the right side of your screen then you do not see what I do.
Log out and check the page, I think it will appear at that time.
No problem, apology accepted. I'll do some logout tests tomorrow, too tired to mess with it tonight

Christropher

...in pieces still.

"
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Carl, I believe it's possible you may be mistaken. I agree that flash is way overused but luckily this site is not an example of such. I see all of the things you are talking about and none of them are flash. All of the animations on the right side of the screen are simply jpg's which link to the vendor sites as are the pictures in the vendor area with the exception of the AirRaid forum which uses a gif for simple animation.

I run Firefox with the FlashBlock add on which will not allow any flash to load on any webpage. If there was any instance of flash animation on this site it would show up simply as an empty box with a "play" arrow in it if I wished to actually view the flash. The only thing on this site that shows up as such is usually linked videos from youtube. It is the same for me either logged in or logged out.

If you're as sick of flash as I am (not from this site, but practically every other one out there), I'd recommend either using what I am (as well as the Ad Blocker add on) or the Pro versions of IE if you're tied to IE. The Pro versions will allow you to block flash.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 12:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I don't see it logged in or out either....

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Carl

Ok guys,

I was just trying to help.
When you get the dreaded site lockup or system lockup or your browser crashes and you get a pop telling you it was due to flash, think about this thread.

Thank you
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 06:41 AM
Retired
Jim

No flash ads showing to me here either. They were pulled about a week ago. Maybe a server in your line has not updated and is holding old material, clear your cookies and check again.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
No flash ads showing to me here either. They were pulled about a week ago. Maybe a server in your line has not updated and is holding old material, clear your cookies and check again.
Jim,
I clear my cookies everytime when logging off of TC and I still seeing the Flash script error(s) which cause my computer to lock up. Never had that problem before the ads became so prevelant here........

Kind Regards,
David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Jim,
I clear my cookies everytime when logging off of TC and I still seeing the Flash script error(s) which cause my computer to lock up. Never had that problem before the ads became so prevelant here........

Kind Regards,
David F.
I'm not seeing it I guess this is a good thing.

PRO.ST69orange

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 10, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

In terms of the internet Flash was one of the best tools ever invented IMO to allow interactive content. However there are a LOT of bad flash programmers out there. ouch.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode